Does mis-pronounced word bother you?
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (104)
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
Does it bother you that people kill trees for Christmas?
Comments (24)It doesn't bother me at all that my neighbor cuts his Christmas trees down to sell to people in our area. It helps our local economy, the trees help the environment while they are here, and more trees are immediately replanted the following March. It's amazing to me how they grow. He doesn't water them when he plants them. He digs the hole, practically tosses the seedling in the ground, covers it up, stomps the ground down with his foot, walks away from them, and that's it. The trees are never watered at any time while in his care, not even through last summer's drought. A well-known, on television everyday, celebrity ordered hundreds of his trees several years ago because she wanted them planted on her property. We're so out in the middle of nowhere, and the neighbor doesn't advertise so I have no idea how her "people" found him......See MoreTomato most likely to be mis-pronounced
Comments (22)Whoever told you that Coustralee was pronounced "KWAHS tra lee" and that there was no "ou" in French may not have your best interests at heart. And if no alarm bells went off in your head, you may be using the phrase "I do speak some French and German" a bit too liberally. Thought this was a funny-tomato-name contest, but if you want to turn it into a foreign-language snob-off, I'm 100% in. **** Jessica, if you reread what I wrote you'll see that no one told me how to pronounce Cuostralee and I said that was the way I pronounced it, but others here have been very helpful in helping all of us to pronounce it correctly. No, no alarm bells went off in my head at all b'c I was wrong, as I've said. Yes, I can carry on a conversation, limply in German, less so in French and no, I'm NOT a language snob at all as others here who know me well can attest to. I took several years of German in college and then for my advanced degree I had to read and translate two languages into English and I chose French and German at the time. And the subject matter was science. I've also traveled quite a bit in Europe and elsewhere and was able to make myself understood in areas where English was not spoken in both Germany and France. I'm not turning this into a language snob-off as you called it and wasn't too pleased to see you make that accusation towards me. Folks at this site generally don't post such criticisms at others; I didn't check to see how long you had been at this site. My only intention was to help where I could re pronunciation of some varieties mentioned and it's turned out that many that have been mentioned have been ones that I've introduced, first by listing them in the SSE YEarbook and from there they go out to various retail places. Looking at some posts above I do think that your terminology could be applied to other posts as well. But please can we go forward now, and not backward? Thanks. Carolyn...See MoreWords you cannot pronounce
Comments (42)Yay I'm so happy I not the only one who struggles with rural. I have to tweak my jaw and tongue to get that word out. If I have to say "rural route" I'm really in trouble. I'm doing another play here in our town and one of my lines is "A real railway, with a whistle and a caboose?" It took me forever to stop saying "A weel wailway, with a whistle and a caboose?" I have a friend from Worcerter Mass. and because of him I call "that sauce" Wooster-sher sauce. Not wor-chester-shire sauce. Oh and after reading your posts I now realize I don't say Wainwrite very well either. It comes out rainwhite. Oh well...See MoreHow do you pronounce corydalis?
Comments (30)Heh heh. I thought I was the only one who lives in the backwoods and was a little embarrassed when a latin name sounds weird the first time you say it out loud. They seem different when you say it in your head for years. On the plus side alone in my garden all my pronunciations are perfect....See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Stories

ORGANIZING21 Tips for Organizing Your Stuff
Restore order at home with these ideas for tidying up cupboards, shelves, doors and more
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe Most Incredible Kids' Tree House You'll Ever See?
Duck your head to enter this unforgettable Dallas wonderwork, lovingly crafted with imaginative delights
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Pros and Cons of Making Your Bed Every Day
Houzz readers around the world share their preferences, while sleep and housekeeping experts weigh in with advice
Full Story
ECLECTIC STYLE5 Reasons to Hit That Secondhand Store
New things have their place, but old things have a history and beauty all their own
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHow to Work With a Professional Organizer
An organizing pro can help you get your house together. Here's how to choose the right one and gain your own clutter-clearing skills
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Counters: Durable, Easy-Clean Soapstone
Give bacteria the boot and say sayonara to stains with this long-lasting material that's a great choice for kitchen and bath countertops
Full Story
MOST POPULARContractor Tips: Top 10 Home Remodeling Don'ts
Help your home renovation go smoothly and stay on budget with this wise advice from a pro
Full Story
CONCRETEWhy Concrete Wants to Crack
We look at the reasons concrete has a tendency to crack — and what you can do to help control it
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGYour Clutter-Clearing Plan for the New Year
Tackle these tasks month by month for a decluttering strategy that will really pay off
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEWhat You Need to Know About Dust and How to Fight It
Breathe easier with these 10 tips for busting mites, dander and other microscopic undesirables
Full Story
stephanie_in_ga