SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

What Should I Deep Fry This Week?

John Liu
13 years ago

I've been traveling for work lately, so the eating has been odd. Switching off between depressing food in airports and overly rich food in, well, okay my trip was to Las Vegas. Honestly, I don't like going to Las Vegas, even if it does have a good steakhouse or two. Anyhow, tonight I really wanted vegetables. Tasty ones. Without effort. Which means . . .

. . . the deep fryer! I set up my trusty Waring Pro countertop deep fryer - the least-disrecommended model in America's Test Kitchen's review, they didn't like any of the electric countertop fryers but called this one the best of the worst, I'm sure Waring is thrilled about that - and looked for veggies to fry.

Let's see. We have two potatoes and a bowl of kosher salt. French fries. We have a head of broccoli, an egg, flour and cold water. Tempura. We have carrots. Did you know that, if you cut carrots into French fry shaped sticks, fry them to golden brown, and salt them ''liberally'', your kids might like them just as much as French fries? That could be useful. We have onions - you get the idea. I tried a tangerine. Not so great.

Here is the problem. Once I get the deep fryer out, I want to use it a whole lot for a week, because it is kind of a pain to put away and set up again, not to mention wasting all that oil.

Yet I don't actually know of that many things to deep fry. I am pretty new to deep frying. So I am looking for ideas. Recipes too, if it is more complicated than ''lower basket into oil''.

Any suggestions? Should I fry some oysters? Chicken? Bananas? Tortellinis?

Please help. Or I'll deep fry this cat [holds up cat]. Miaou.

Comments (24)