SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtomsb

Need help....new paint chipping/peeling already.

momtomsb
16 years ago

I'm feeling so sick about this. We just had all of the natural maple trim and cabinets painted white in our almost 3 year old home. The original, clear finish was horrible and repair had been attempted 4 times by the builder.

So, upon our request, the builder agreed to paint it all white for us and referred us to a painter specializing in restoration. This man swore up and down and up and down that he could give us beautiful, enameled woodwork. We trusted him and left our home for 2 weeks so the job could be done.

At first sight, we were in awe....it did look fabulous but "issues" have surfaced over the past few days after we have spent time in the home.

The paint on the cabinets is now about 2.5-3 weeks old. There are at least 50 small chips in a variety of places where the maple is showing through. We were told every piece of wood would be stripped bare before any primer and paint was applied but the recently exposed wood still seems to have lacquer on it (*lacquer was the last attempted repair). Also, I just noticed a cabinet door pad was slipping off so I went to adjust it and all of the paint, including primer, peeled off with the sticky pad...EEK!

And are we in big trouble if the painter lied about stripping the cabinets down to the raw wood and primed/painted over a clear coated surface? Can the new product adhere to this kind of surface? An oil based primer was used with a water based top coat. Most of the work was sprayed with a few small areas were brushed.

Also, a BASEBOARD/SKIRTBOARD question....the carpet was all tacked back so the baseboard and skirtboard could be sprayed. The new paint job on this areas is just horrible. It is full of debris...hair, dirt particles, etc... The painter said it is normal for that junk to blow up from under the baseboard when the sprayer is used but still....wasn't there a way to prevent it?

I'm stressing out about this. I have already thought today that it might be time to hire a lawyer which I totally do not want to do. I simply can not have a new house full of painted white wood that is full of chips. ICK.

Any advice?

Thank you so much.

***Oh, I live in Minnesota. The paint used over the primer is called Hirshfields Heavy Duty Semi Gloss which is purchased at a reputable chain store in the area.

Comments (6)