SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharkgirl2000

Open shelves under an upper cabinet

Iowacommute
11 years ago

I have found one pretty good past link: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0917573915957.html

Although I'm hoping for some updates. I will have a small U shaped kitchen, and I cook/bake a lot. Plus I cater. I think closed (glass door cabinets) and open shelves will be a great mix for me. I have found some more examples on Houzz.

This first one is more of a custom cabinet with the bottom of the cabinet acting as an open shelf. Although pretty I'm not sure if I like it as much. I'm also afraid if I don't like the open shelves then I won't be able to change it or the height of the shelf because it will be a part of the cabinet.

Traditional Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect Gast Architects

This one looks like the open shelf is at 18" above the counter (guessing from the stand mixer being under the shelf). I do like it but am worried the above cabinet would be too tall for me (I'm only 4'11).

Eclectic Kitchen design by Raleigh Media And Blogs Home & Harmony

This one is closer to what I was thinking although this shelf looks a little close to the counter.

Traditional Kitchen design by Other Metro Interior Designer Kimberly Arnold Fletcher

After reading the above thread I posted it seems like a good idea to at least start a test at having an open shelf at 10" off of the counter. The only thing I will have on the counters will be my stand mixer (I don't use a toaster or coffee/tea anything, and my microwave will be in an upper cabinet).

I was thinking about putting an open shelf under each run of cabinets. I will use the shelves for seasonings, measuring glasses, some mixing bowls, some plates, glasses, and maybe platters I use everyday. I know anything else on there will just get dusty, and I'm not into washing before I use stuff.

So any updates on the open shelves under cabinets? I do like the look of floating shelves and have a really nice one now my husband built me for the bathroom.

Comments (19)