SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

bm navajo white?

lisa_mocha
15 years ago

After much struggle to decide on a creamy paint colour (trying to avoid pink/green/grey/orange etc undertones...what a chore in choose the right creamy colour!), I finally decided on Benjamin Moore Navajo White.

Rolled on the 1st coat yesterday (on 1 wall...and then stopped hubbie from going any further) and am concerned that the colour may look a little too orange/peachy.

I just want such a soft, soothing beigey paint colour without much of an undertone.

Has anyone out there used BM Navajo White? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I need to decided in a hurry as hubby wants the room put back together this week.

Please help if you've had any experience with Navajo White-or great success with a similiar shade. (My paint mistakes are adding up!)

Thanks a bunch!!

L.

Comments (9)

• myredhouse
    15 years ago

We have BM Najavo White through most of our (current) house and it is not peachy at all. Our house has a ton of windows and direct sunlight though and all the trim is white, if your house has different light or trim reflecting on to it, maybe? But really, no peach nor pink here! It's a pretty light beige as far as beiges go- maybe you really want something darker?? Are you rolling it over primer or another color? Maybe you just need two coats...

• vdinli
    15 years ago

The PO's of our house painted it BM Navajo White (at least that's what the leftover paint says!) and I can tell you at least in our rooms in the eve it reads pink-brown. No where near white one would think a paint having white in its name would be!! Maybe it all has to do with lighting. I do not understand why there are so many whites to choose from in the first place :-0
    As for what colors to try instead, take a look at the Gallery section to see if you find any you like.
    Vinaya

Here is a link that might be useful: for eg: Yellow and Gold thread

• elby
    15 years ago

We have Navajo White in two rooms. One room gets lots of natural light on three sides. The other has only two windows, and they're on a northeast wall. In neither room does Navajo White look pinky or peachy. It has a sort of rich, creamy look. The beige tone is very soft.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

What part of the country are you in, and which direction do you get light from? --I have seen it look peachy yellow in some lights.

However, it depends on what you are covering. Primer is Very Cold white and sort of bluish. Navajo tends to be pretty warm. The tones may disappear somewhat once it is all "white"

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

We have just the 1 coat partially done on 1 wall...walls have a coat of primer on them.

There are 2 windows in the room with southern exposure.
    I guess I should be more concerned with the colour in the evening than during the day given that we're not in there during the daytime.

Given that I have a gallon (on top of a couple of others that I bought thinking I had finally chosen the right colour), I may as well finish a 2nd coat and see what happens. It is a nice, soft colour...maybe just not quite what I'd been looking for. Sure sounds like a pretty popular colour though!

Will post bedroom pics once all is done. Thanks again for the feedback!
    L.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I repainted my Master Bathroom from Ralph Lauren Deep Cream to BM Navajo White and that lemon went away and instead a soft creamy light golden tan that does have some orange tints in it is now on the wall that looks nice with the Bone bathtub, toilet and sink. Before the wall color just did not feel right to me. BM Navajo White seems to be a lighter BM Bone White in my eyes since I love the BM Bone White that I have in my hallways and family room as well as my kitchen.

Sherwin William's Navajo White is a very close match to BM Bone White but Bone White is slightly more golden.

Sherwin William's Navajo White is darker than Bm Navajo White.

I have Sherwin William's Extra White Gloss on all my trim and doors to make the wall color look more like a color and I love the clean look. I also have white ceilings that really brighten up the rooms I feel from what I had before.

By the way ever since I bought white sheer curtains to put on the side of my Linen Honeycomb Duet Blinds, I started to enjoy the Ralph Lauren Deep Cream on my walls in my Master Bedroom.

Lighting, light bulbs, no natural light or a lot of natural light and the colors in the room really affect the paint color on the wall. I used BM Pearl Paint finish which is not as shiny as Satin or Semi-Gloss but more shiny than Eggshell. In my home office, the Pearl finish appears flat without a chalky look.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I have BM Navajo White Regal Matte in FR/kitchen with east and south windows. I see more yellow (or old house was more peach - custom color). I still looks creamy/ivory in DD's room with west windows.

Kitchen (with range hood light on, white Carrara marble and Mystique Dusk countertop)

On north wall of kitchen, against BM Muresco ceiling white and oak cabinets (some light from east window over sink, but no artificial lighting on):

FR near south window (with blinds closed in east window)

{{!gwi}}

With blinds open, but not sure what time of day:

{{gwi:1448174}}

DD's room - west wall, shades were drawn though, and reflection in mirror is probably not good representation

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks Laurie and ajsmama for the pics!
    Nav White doesn't look peachy in these pictures. Just a very soft, off-white.

Will throw on another coat and see...
    Usually my mistake is that I panic and try to find another colour. Once I have 2 coats and look at it with bedding/drapes back up, I'm sure it will be fine.
    (If not...back to the paint store I go:))

I'd considered Barely Beige, but was concerned with pink undertones.

Thanks again to all for your help!!