SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cornflakegirl_gw

daughter's poor school performance

cornflakegirl
14 years ago

Hi,

My daughter is a junior this year. She has never been a stellar student although she is bright. She did make straight A's one semester but she is currently failing Chemistry and Algebra2.

She was supposed to go on a school trip that I pre-paid over a thousand dollars for and now it looks as though she will not be going as there is really no way for her to pull up her grades in time. I don't think that reality has really set in for her yet and she is making what she believes to be a good attempt but I know that she could do a lot better.

The main problem for me right now is not the money wasted but looking to the future, I really don't know what to do to help her. The other day she was in tears talking about how she has ruined her chances of getting into a good college. I told her that she just has to start trying. She does not study. She does not turn in her homework. I told her that I would gladly hire her a tutor but she is adamant that this would not help her.

I really am racking my brain trying to come up with a solution but she says all my advice is no good. For example, and please tell me if I'm wrong here, but if she were to take Chemistry and or Algebra over in the summer and do really well, would that not drastically improve her report card and GPA or does it not work that way? Any teachers out there?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer