SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Chef Eric Villegas

annie1992
15 years ago

Eric Villegas is a Michigan chef who had two years of training in France and then came home to go to culinary school here in the states. He always missed "home", though, and came back to Michigan, opened Restaurant Villegas in Lansing and decided that it should be his mission to let everyone know that Michigan is nothing less than the most wonderful place on earth, LOL.

He has a PBS TV show, he says PBS is the original Food Network, and just went national. His focus is on local and sustainable food from the Great Lakes region.

He did a demonstration and food tasting here last week and I played hookey from work and went. He was funny, charming, excited about Michigan. he says that no one knows that Martha Stewart and Wolfgang Puck get apples from Eau Claire, Michigan or that the maple form for the nosecone of the rocket that went to the moon was made in Petoskey, Michigan, the same place that makes every maple tabletop for every Applebee's restaurant in the United States. People don't know that when they eat whitefish in Kansas City it probably came from Michigan or that we're the home of Jiffy Mix and that the only saltwater indoor shrimp farm is in Michigan. He says that the famous guys get their food from here but don't tell because they don't want to compromise their supply, LOL.

Anyway, he made corn chowder. It was better than mine, probably because it started with a stick of butter and ended with three quarts of heavy cream!

The chef, talking about how the people in California and Texas are enjoying the "foreign" ingredients in his Michigan TV show:

I couldn't help myself, I had to discuss his morel mushroom salt and Clancy's Fancy hot sauce:

I bought his cookbook, he autographed it "To Annie, my friend, remember to think globally but eat and buy locally". (grin) Yeah, you KNEW I'd like him....

finally, one of my favorite recipes. He said he was trying to "re-invent" nachos, so he went to Lansing to the La Fronteza tortilla factory and bought Michigan flour tortillas, cooked them in Michigan soybean oil, sprinkled them while hot with Michigan maple sugar. He topped them with fresh Michigan fruit and in place of cheese grated Michigan made white and chocolate fudge over them and topped them with local sour cream spiked with Kahlua. He did bemoan the fact that he can't get Michigan made Kahlua, although we do have two Michigan made brands of vodka, LOL. His comment on the recipe? "If you don't love me now, you're NEVER gonna love me". (grin)

All in all, it was a very enjoyable couple of hours with a charming, intelligent and well-trained fellow foodie. He is a bit extreme, though. He told me that he went to Holland, Michigan and bought local pickles. He dehydrated the pickles, ground them to powder, mixed them with Michigan salt and dipped the rim of a glass in the mixture. he made a "dirty Michigan martini" from the pickle juice and True North vodka from Traverse City. I thought that was just a bit over the top but he swears it was good!

Annie

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!