SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
overmyhead08

What is Standard for Professional Exterior Painting?

overmyhead08
14 years ago

I am currently in the process of having my newly installed, pre-primed HardiePlank painted with SW Duration. My painter planned to paint just one heavy coat on the sides of the house and two coats on the front and back in order to stay within my budget.

So far one side and the back have been painted with one coat. While the paint job looks good from a distance, up close I see a lot of missed spots on the underside of the siding and on the face of the siding as well. While I'm hoping the missed spots will get hit the second time around on the back, I fear that my painter may consider the side of the house finished.

My questions are:

1. Do professional painters typically leave some unpainted spots on the undersides of the siding after just one coat, even a heavy coat?

2. Am I being unreasonable in expecting my painter to touch up all the unpainted spots (there are a lot)?

3. Can Duration be easily touched up in spots, or will it have to be completely brushed on again to look good?

4. What should I be able to expect from my painter after two coats of paint in terms of COMPLETE coverage when I stand directly up against and under the siding?

5. My painter says Duration is hard to work with and sets quickly in summer temperatures, which may be why his crew were unable to paint as completely as I would've expected. Do you professional painters feel it is hard to work with, or is my painter just making excuses?

While I am very picky and do not feel the need to lower my standards, I also do not want to come off as unreasonable, as my painter still has the interior of my house to finish up (and he's doing a pretty good job in the interior).

Thanks for all advice.

OMH

Comments (8)