SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nap101

Primer over joint compound results and update

nap101
10 years ago

So I used zinsser smart prime. Sanded, did a little touch up and vacuumed the walls. Then a second coat with fresh start. Then 2 coats of paint. Looks great. Went to take the tape off the window trim and it pulled the paint right off the wall along the edge of the paint--a ragged line, down to the joint compound.

I took a piece of blue tape to a low area of solid wall I know will be covered with furniture. Took it all off down to the joint compound.

So depressing.

I did vacuum walls and ceiling thoroughly twice before priming.

Do I need to use a different product for priming? What did I do wrong? And what do I do now? the walls look great other than that. Maybe I need to take an exacto knife to the edge of the paint to get a clean line before removing the rest of the tape.

And I have a second room to do next. I need to know what I did wrong before tackling the second room.

One note: I didn't stir the fresh can of smart prime before doing the first coat because I came straight from the paint store where they shook it. But upon the second coat I went to stir it and there were solids at the bottom. They replaced the pprimer and noticed the same thing in some of their product in the store. They substituted fresh start for what I brought back. But they said it shouldn't affect what I already put on the walls. Not sure if that is the culprit but felt I needed to put that up front.

Comments (5)