SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedog_2007

What's For Dinner #283

dixiedog_2007
15 years ago

Starting a new thread (my first cooking one - ya who!, as people said they wanted to keep it to 50 posts).

I still had some crab meat leftover from yesterday and DH wanted some more crab imperial so I put this one together for us to split. We had a small green salad and a slice of bread to go along side. That was plenty as the crab dish is very rich.

The recipe that was googled for the Apple Gooey Cake is the one that I make. Very moist and very good. A true apple lover will always love something like this.

Comments (53)

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Dixie, that wonderful apple dessert screams Autumn.

It was our neighourbour Clif's birthday today...

Ann, if I were the lucky recipient of such a cake, I'd be speaking in tongues too.

I'm on my way out the door right now, to hang out with my SIL, who's in town this week, but I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Sol

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My NOTE on the Apple Cake - It says to cook for 40-45 mins. I cook mine for 50 minutes. It just was a little too jiggly in the center at the shorter time.

• Related Discussions

Idyll #283 - the flowers of memory

Q

Comments (103)
    Thanks everyone for the praises on my uitily/plant room. I am appreciating both it, and Nolon's abilty to build it with all those recycled windows. :-) And the cement floor with a drain for the water to run out. I keep rearranging plants, and am keeping my back in a constant turmoil. Trubby didn't help it any when he made me almost fall this morning. He has taken to hanging around my feet too closely, and I don't notice him until I almost fall over him. :-( Honey, sorry that your DH is reluctant to having your plants in the basement. I would have a problem if Nolon wasn't so tolerant of all that I chose to do. Yargh! 6 deer in your back yard. I can sure identify with that. I have never tried any commercial repellents. I would rather tolerate them than go through all that chore of spraying everything, and getting chigger bites in the process. Eden, your birthday pic to Norma looks like it could be one of my flowerbeds, except I no longer have any volunteer cosmos. I'm glad Myrtle the turtle's pic was enjoyed. Eileen, I love your swan pic! Lol on you wanting to be the goat. I have always said I am the scape-goat. :-) I am so ashamed that I never thought to ask the friend about her carpel tunnel surgery. I just cannot remember things. And I see her regularly! She even was at the Golden Year's class tuesday, and I also forgot to pass on a message to her. I wish she had internet so I could e-mail here . ( She has a computer, but is not on line. ) Yep, that husband/wife joke is funny. I have heard it before too. Brenda, what a nice discription of the Idylls..." a warm, fuzzy blanket". Very apt! Wow! What a trying summer that you had. I am so glad that your DS is okay! I do hope he will have a lasting memory of the accident, and be very careful from now on. And it's so good that your MIL was uninjured in her accident. Sorry about your mom's health problems, and your DD's romance woes. What a drag that the puppy died! But then, there is the good news about the purchase of the neighboring land. So nice that the man's daughters cared enough for you too lower the price. Yey! on the weight loss! Good for you! And your 'get-away' sounds special. I am glad you shared all this with us. You are not a "dork" ! And we missed you, too. Re; the plants indoors. There are more, all over the house. Only a few rooms have none in them. I counted the other day, and there were 60, but I have brought more into the livingroom since then...:-) I have 23 african violets. Twenty of them are in my bedroom. Woody, I hope you can get the sunroom. I have long wished for a 'real' plant room off our dinningroom, but have about gave up on that ever happening. Oh, the white-flowered vine is a clem. It may be a Virgin's Bower. I have one, but it doesn't get as full of blooms as yours, and it isn't fragrant....at least I have never detected it. That is scary about your MIL. It could become a real tragedy if she wandered off while on a trip, or suffered a bad fall. Funny about her remembering Misty. Wendy...are you teasing me with those lovely fuchsia blooms? LOL ! Mary, that is a beautiful passion flower ! Sorry I didn't post any Birthday pics. I have been fighting the doldrums, again. My pain med has not helped as I had hoped it would. Cindy, I'm sorry about your plant snafu. I try to keep labels on jugs , so I won't do something like that. It would be very easy to do( the mistake, not the labeling). I hope you can replace those that you lost. I hope you've got a better night's rest. Eileen, what a shock about the prize iris tubers! Live and learn! I'll bet you know what those "funky leaves" and "ugly roots" are now...:-) That is very good advice that you gave on the storage of dormant roots. Deanne, I have never had the courage to strip all the leaves off the plants I bring in, but I understand why you do it. Woody, I checked for updates on my computer, but it is done automatically on this new computer. There were none available to be done. But thanks for the warning. V, I did a Google on "Circle City" and found more than one, but I am presuming it is the one in Indiana that you are speaking of? Marian
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • woodie
    15 years ago

LOL, Sol.

Hi folks - I've been pretty scarce around here but I always love to read my favorite thread, WFD.

Thanks for the apple cake Dixiedog, it looks amazing and I have an occasion to contribute dessert in a little while so that's what it will be, I can't wait. (Thanks for the timing info.)

Recently had family and friends visiting for a while and there was lots of cooking going on which for me means using lots of forum recipes, but now we are alone at our cottage relaxing and enjoying the beautiful fall colors in upstate NY - is this the most spectacular year ever? I think so. Just the 2 of us and simple meals - roast chicken with gravy and canned peas (yep, I was hoping you'd drop by, Ann), country ribs with sauerkraut baked together and served with mashed potatoes, and a chili fest at the neighbor's house one night was good and a lot of fun too. Future plans here at the cottage call for Krasna's Mexican chicken corn chowder and a favorite one pot wonder sausage/spinach/capellini dinner - all comfort foods for this fall weather we're having - cold for a little while now warming up into the 40's and raining. (BTW today for breakfast I had l/o mashed rutabagas with a tiny bit of chicken and gravy over bread, yummm :)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Oh yummy what wonderful desserts ....Dixie's Apple Cake and Ann's chocolate cake. Cliff is lucky to be your neighbour!
    Mmm...I'm just going to satisfy our sweet tooth with a bit of Crema Catalan ice cream for our dessert!
    Woodie just this morning my daughter in BC emailed me to say that the fall leaves were more beautiful that she could ever remember....just as you have found where you live!

Yesterday I rescued most of my basil from some chewing beetles and made a pesto over wide noodles. Wolf just loves pesto homemade in the moment before eating. It was good. But on Sunday when I was in a video conference with one of my daughters and my brother we got to discussing slow cookers. She had hers cooking away in her kitchen and creating wonderful aromas throughout her house. My brother ran downstairs to his basement.....(isn't that where we all keep our slow cookers nowadays?) ...to get his out of the cobwebs and we all decided that we'd do some slow cooking again.

I took mine out of the bottom of a deep closet and today made a chicken stew...full of leeks, onions, celery, carrots and a pound of frozen chicken cut up in chunks and the last of my homemade chicken broth scrounged from the deep freeze. It was wonderful! And to help out my bachelor brother I went to one of my favourite websites and got him some slow cooker recipes...including some with just 3, 4 or 5 ingredients. Just right for a guy on his own! Although he is a pretty good cook and puts on some great meals for his guests.

Stewed chicken in the old crockpot

Served in the bowl

Here are some crockpot step by step videos:

Cooking with a Crock Pot

Cooking Brisket with 3 Sauce Ingredients in a Crock Pot

Three Ingredient Crockpot Videos

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

OK.....now I'm hung up on Apple Gooey Cake and Chocolate cake, both sound wonderful. I need to head to one of the apple orchards here and get apples. Life's been a little crazy and I haven't had time.

Woodie, I was just thinking about you and wonderin' where you've been hiding. Enjoy the fall colors, they've been beautiful here as well. Some of the deepest orange and reds I've ever seen.

Sharon the stewed chicken looks great, I need to dust off my crockpot as well. Our weather has really cooled off and it would be nice to walk into the house after work to some good food smells....

Here's Sunday's dinner, pork tenderloin with a compote, roasted parsnips with pumpkin and bacon, mashed potatoes.

Tonight's dinner was Fried chicken thighs, sweet corn from the freezer and mashed potatoes with chicken gravy.

Noe you can see why I'm jonesing for either of those desserts....I'm desert deprived!

Nancy

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann that is some great looking Thai chicken but that cake looks awesome! Beautiful, just beautiful and I'm sure it tasted just as good as it looks.

Chase I love meatloaf anytime of year along with taters. Classic meal.

Woodie roast chicken is also one of my favorite meals. I totally agree with you about the Fall colors. I sit on my porch and just "oh and ah."

Sharon your Chicken Stew looks fabulous. The broth is a wonderful rich color.

Wizard I really enjoy pork tenderloin and in fact just bought two on sale last week and will be on the menu soon. Boy, parsnips with bacon and pumpkin - YUM!

I had a lot to do today so an easy dinner tonight - ham omeletes with cheese, onions and tomatoes (sour cream & salsa on top), salad and bread. Leftover gooey apple cake cut into chunks.

• jimtex
    15 years ago

Ann, I love your description, "Last night I made a bastardized version of "insert what I cooked". I made yogurt marinated chicken, tzatziki with cilantro instead of mint or dill, grilled then braised pork shoulder for tacos, salsa (killer salsa at that) and kimchi this weekend and they were all that version and very good. The kimchee will be the way I like it next weekend and primo for two more weeks so I'll be going Korean or a "bastardized version" of it for awhile :).

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Dixiedog, Your Apple Gooey Cake looks so good!

Ann T, The Thai curry chicken is one of my favorites, and I do love a good chocolate cake. LOL

Canarybird, your stewed chicken look like a wonderful comfort food for this time of year, still warm during the day but it cools off at night.

Omelets are a favorite here in our household anytime....yours is good enough to eat off the pc....

We had bbqed elk with grilled veggies, (zucchini, red onions and red bell peppers)and parsley red potatoes..

Linda

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I whipped up a quick casserole tonight, with the help of #1 son..so that he can understand just how easy it is to "make do" with what's available.
    Thursday I precooked some boneless chicken thighs in the crock pot with taco seasoning sprinkled over them, then almost a pint of homemade salsa. Let it go on low most of the day.
    Poured it out and shredded the meat into the sauce.

Anyway took that tonight, mixed it with about 10oz of cream cheese. Spread corn tortillas in the pan, topped with the chicken/salsa/cream cheese mix..sprinkled with cheddar on one level and garlic jack on the other. Made layers covered with foil and baked at 350 for 40 minutes or so..
    It's really good..Some of the top tortillas are a little chewy..but it's hot and satisfies!

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Pictures really are worth a thousand words!

Tonight we had chili. On Sunday I made Harissa (a red pepper paste) and then made enchilada sauce with the 'scraps'. So, tonight I made chili with the leftover enchilada sauce. That was the best chili I've ever made. I stewed up a few pintos to go into it as well. That's a big deal here - beans or no beans. I served it with sour cream, fritos, green onions, and cilantro. Also with a side salad.

I think Gooey Apple Cake would have been great as a dessert. I noticed on the previous thread that Stacy asked if the recipe she posted was the one you all were talking about, but no one answered. Was it? Stacy I printed that one out to try...

• User
    15 years ago

Woodie, if only you were closer. You know how much I would have loved your dinner.

Sharon, now I have a craving for chicken stew.

Nancy, is anything better than mashed potatoes and gravy?

Dixie, great looking omelette. Moe is always agreeable to having breakfast for dinner.

Moe was happy today. I baked bread today. He has been feeling deprived because I haven't baked bread much this summer. While the bread was rising I put a big pot of meatballs on to simmer for dinner.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Ann, I don't know what the heck you do to spaghetti and meatballs but every time you make it, it just gets me craving it so! And we just had some!

Linda, those grilled veggies are beautiful.

I'm glad I got to see Dixie's apple cake in the dish - now I want to make it even more. Hey! Maybe for our Halloween party on the 1st! And your crab imperial looks so good - I've never had it - how do you make that?

Nancy, I forget about parsnips - you have inspired me to try to remember them - looks good!

trsinc - I gave the boys a choice of chili or turkey dinner the other night and they chose turkey...(drat -more work!) - but your chili sounds great - wish I had your homemade enchilada sauce to add.

Woodie, I never knew the mexican chicken corn chowder wasn't yours! Love that stuff. In fact my neighbor made it last weekend for a get together. And you just reminded me to go see if my sauerkraut needs skimming!

Sharon, great looking stew - they say old crockpots work better than new..,:-)

Ann. That cake looks heavenly. Lucky Cliff. I could definitely make dinner out of that.

I've decided to make mini burgers and dogs for our party on Nov 1 so Will and I experimented last night. They were pretty good! (burgers) Don't know why I'm out of the mode of photos lately. I think I'm making some cabbage rolls today - will try to take some!

Stacy

• woodie
    15 years ago

Stacy, no recipe I ever post is "mine" LOL. I'm not creative but I do know how to read a recipe! I have a couple of dabs of cream cheese to use up to throw in the soup and then I found a package of spinach in the freezer with no plans, I wonder if that would be good thrown in there, I'll think on that one for a bit. We had snow showers this morning up here in the Adirondacks and its a good day for comfort food.

Everything looks so good here, but its Terri's chicken taco casserole that is really grabbing me today!

• jain
    15 years ago

oh my, i have not been here in a long time, but seeing ann's cake for dinner is stirring embers in me i need to squash pronto! that cake look fantastic, chocolate is such a weakness for me... everything looks beautiful everyone, but once i see chocolate, i am blind sighted... i recently started bloging and have pics of meals and gardens scattered about, i have gotten very lazy now about posting pics anywhere with my one stop plopping if anyone cares to look. last night i made swedish meatballs, but i much rather have had ann's cake...

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Jain, your blog is great, fabulous pictures, and the produce unbelievable. And of course, your humor, always a good laugh! Thanks for sharing that here!

Ann, your bread and meatballs, oh boy! I haven't had that in a few weeks...

Hi Woodie! Did you see the new Ina show with my neighbor TR?? I wonder if Marie saw it?

Dixie, that looks like a very satisfying dinner at the end of a busy day!

Lynda, what does elk taste like, venison? I have had that..

Nancy, your pork dinner looks good, as does Sharon's chicken stew..Very comforting now that there's a chill in the air here!

For dinner, I'd like some of Dixie's crab and Ann's cake for dessert...WOW!

A chicken theme...
    Individual chicken pot pies, chicken tubettini soup and apple crisp..Cluck cluck!

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Well, I just saw that dixie said the apple cake on the other thread was the recipe she uses - duh! So, I'm going to make that tonight! On a scale of 1 - 10, how sweet do you think it is, dixie? We like things around 3 or 4, so I'm thinking of deleting a cup of sugar from the cake portion.

Not sure what else I'm making tonight. I'm picking up my first box ever of vegetables from a local, organic farmer today. I signed up with the CSA last week. I'm so excited! I'll see what I have and go from there.

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trsinc, I am going to post the whole recipe here along with my timing note so that it is together. Oh, your question is hard for me to answer. Yes, it is sweet but I don't personally find it overly sweet and I don't have a real big sweet tooth. I would say on a scale of 1-10 about a 6 or 7. Everyone has different taste buds so I'm sure you could cut down on the sugar without it affecting the texture or anything. I hope you enjoy it if you try.

Gooey Apple Sheet Cake
    Source: Frosty  Cooking Light Board

For the Cake:

2 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 ½ tsps. ground cinnamon
    1/2 c buttermilk
    2 cups chopped apples (1/4-1/2 inch pieces)

For the Topping:

3 cups powdered sugar
    8 oz. cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup oats

Mix melted butter and sugar with a mixer. Add eggs and beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing well. Fold in the chopped apples. Spread batter into well greased (or sprayed) 13 x 9 baking pan. Mix Topping ingredients and put over cake BEFORE baking. Bake in a 350ºF oven for 40-45 minutes. You can store this on the counter or in the refrigerator. Great warm, cold, or at room temperature.

MY NOTE: I cooked for 50 minutes. It was a bit too "jiggly" in the middle at the shorter cooking time.

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Everything looks wonderful!

SharonCB, would you mind sharing what herbs/spices you used in your crockpot chicken stew? It looks delicious and I'd love to try it for an easy weeknight meal. Also, did you thicken it with anything?

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Kathleen what delicious looking desserts!

And hi to Jain....long time since we've seen you over here. Good for you starting a blog too. It looks lovely!

Tammy thank you for the compliment on my crockpot chicken. It did taste so good! I used only salt and pepper on the chicken when I started it but put it in the crockpot on a thick bed of sliced and chopped leek, white bulb of spring onion, carrot, a little red and green pepper, sliced garlic and a couple of celery sticks, chopped. I used about 2 cups of my homemade chicken broth, 2 TBS thick tomato paste concentrate, and during the last half hour I added a rounded TBS of thyme and the small golfball-sized potatoes.

I thickened it with about 1 TBS of OXO Chicken Gravy Granules (from the jar.....not sure if you get them in USA).....which I dissolved in about 1/2 cup of the hot liquid sauce taken out and put into a measuring cup, stirred that around and slowly added that back to the crockpot.
    That is used to thicken and add a little more flavour to the sauce. I finished with a few snips of Italian flat parsley from the garden.

Today was busy so we went to our favourite Austrian diner for Weiner schnitzel, salad and chips. Today it's raining here and we're so glad.

As both my daughters are working moms I've ordered them each an early Christmas gift online...a Fagor Duo pressure cooker and Lorna Sass's book "Cooking Under Pressure: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes". Fagor is a good Spanish product which I know well. My kitchen stove which must be over 40 years old (it came with the house) is a Fagor and it just keeps going on and on without a problem.

I did a search and some reading on pressure cookers here on the appliance forum before ordering them. I was happy to finally find a large company in USA that will ship housewares to Canada! If anyone needs to know, just PM me and I'll pass on the name of the company.

SharonCb

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Kathleen, Elk does not taste like venison.
    It is leaner than any other meat, even chicken....It tastes more like beef. It one of my favorites..

Linda

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Thanks, Linda..I am always learning! ;)

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lyn I have never had elk but yours sure does look good and thank you for the description. terri, your tortillas sound real good and Ann your artisan bread and meatballs look wonderful.

Stacy there are a million crab imperial recipes out there but this is the one that I use most often.

Crab Imperial Casserole (or Individual Shells if desired)
    (Note: My personal favorite Crab Imperial Recipe from Southern Living. I normally make this on Thanksgiving or Christmas or for a really special occasion and I double the recipe and put in a 13x9 inch casserole dish).

1 pound of fresh lump crabmeat
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    3 TBS. all purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups half and half
    2 tsps. chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 tsps. dry mustard
    3/4 tsps. salt
    1 TBS. lemon juice
    2 tsps. prepared horseradish
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup soft breadcrumbs
    2 TBS. Butter

Drain crabmeat. Put in a bowl. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth. Cook 1 min. stirring constantly. Gradually add half and half, cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in parsley and next 5 ingredients; add crabmeat, stirring gently (don't break up the lumps of crab meat). Have a greased small casserole dish (glass is best) and spoon the crab mixture into the dish. Then break up fresh white bread into chunks and place on top of the crab mixture and then drizzle melted butter over the top of the bread. Then place in a 350 degree oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.

jain, I adore Swedish meatballs. That is a very good meal in my book. Kathleen, your soup looks so yummy and the broth looks rich. What a cute chicken pot pie. You have some of the greatest dishes. Sharon, I loved the look of your chicken stew and thank you for sharing how you put it together.

Tonight was Ina's Shrimp Scampi. I made a few minor changes tonight (I normally follow her recipe). Changes: I chopped up some onion to put in the dish also, used angel hair pasta instead of linguine and only used the juice and zest of the lemon - didn't add the lemon slices. It was very good. Crusty bread and steamed broccoli along side.

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Thanks, SharonCB! I'm definitely going to give the chicken stew a try.

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Everything looks so good. I love all the dinners here - the elk looks delicious, there are no hunters in our family but I have always loved it when we have been given some.

We like omelettes and breakfast burritos for dinner too; yours looks yummy Dixie.

The weather has really cooled off here, overnight lows in the 20s and 30s but now snow at our elevation yet. Ann, your bread and meatballs look like the perfect fall comfort food.

So does Sharon's stewed chicken stew and Kathleen's apple crisp.

Dixie, the Gooey Apple Sheet Cake looks intriguing - after it is baked, if you didn't know, would you guess that there is oatmeal in the topping?

Tonight we had short ribs cooked in the pressure cooker with onion, prunes and ginger. It was a Lorna Sass recipe that I tweaked by using red wine for some of the liquid and defatting and blitzing the the remaining solids and liquid into a smooth sauce. Sides were small baked potatoes, sauteed zucchini and salads.

WooHoo no more biz trips til the end of January.

Lee

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Lee, it's so good to hear from you!!!!! You always come up with wonderful dinner ideas that I never think of. The short ribs sound really good. I haven't made anything with prunes in a very long time....now ya got me thinkin'.

Tonight's dinner was left over fried chicken. I was busy all afternoon canning applesauce.

Nancy

• User
    15 years ago

Dixie, the pasta looks soooooo gooood.

Nice to see you back here Lee. Every time you mention your pressure cooker it reminds me that I need to buy one. I'd love to be able to make a stew or osso bucco or lamb shanks when I get home from work rather than slow roast in the oven while I'm at work.

I had Moe put a ham in the oven yesterday afternoon so it would be almost cooked by the time I got home. All I had to do then was prepare the potato gratin and the veggies.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Yes Woodie, you've been pretty scarce, not that I have room to talk, but I'd rather see you here once in a while than not at all. Btw, I still remember Krasna and her witty posts and often wonder what's become of her.

Sharon, I wish I could have some of that Stewed Chicken.
    Ann, I'd like to reach through my monitor and steal a hunk of bread from you.
    Kathleen, for dessert I'd like your Apple Crisp.
    Lee! Welcome back.

Nancy, Jim asked me to make fried chicken last night. He came to his senses . . . on the way back from the ER . . . as he suddenly realized I'm an active member of WADF (Women Against Deep-Frying [not the Western Air Defense Force]).
    That said, I admire anyone who has no qualms cooking with large quantities of oil. You're quite a valiant soul, and your fried chicken is a fine result of that.

I recently stumbled onto a new market, which unfortunately is well over an hour from my house, but it's one I'd love to visit next time I'm in the area. It's called the Westborn Market and it's better (yeah, I said "better") than Trader Joe's and Whole Foods combined.
    It is a foodie's paradise, and filled to the rafters with everything you could possibly ever need, and much more. From their vast selection of wine and cheeses, to their coffee beans. They even had (healthy) Meyer Lemon Trees for sale, and their apple cider was the best we've ever had. For the record, I'm not in any way affiliated with these people, but, Good Lord, I wish I were!
    I have very few pictures (below) to share of the place because I was busted by a female version of Barney Fife, during my shopping and camera snapping jamboree. I urge anyone in the MI. area to check them out.

Dinners lately, Tamarind Shrimp, with Sticky Coconut Rice; Pork with Mustard and Chive Sauce and Toasted Barley with Caramelized Butternut Squash; Mushroom Spinach Tart; Schiacciatta for dessert (no pictures this time, as it's been posted before).

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

See you all next week.

Sol

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Thanks Woodie - do you have Terri's recipe handy? that sounds good.

kathleen, your pot pie is adorable...love your pans.

Dixie, thanks for the recipe - I bet Scott will love that. And thanks for the recommendation for Ina's scampi.

Hi lee. We're about the same. cold at night but not snow.

Ann those potatoes look so good - and the squash. You always do such a good job of having lots of veggies with your meals. Great photos.

Hi Sol. Your dinners are beautiful as always. That tart is amazing. I wish we had a place even half as nice as that place near here...lucky you!

I did make cabbage rolls last night - I made a "bastardized" (hee hee!) version of Ann's though. (wink)

Actually I kind of combined Diane's and Ann's - as I had a big bunch of the filling and mixed it at the same time. So I cooked onions and garlic and added to the rice/ meat mixture - but horseradish got added to all. Then I separated the recipes from there. Ann's were cooked on a bed of onions and garlic, with chicken broth and tomatoes, and Diane's were cooked on a bed of cabbage and topped with tomato soup. br sugar and vinegar.

Guess what. I don't know which I like better! They are both delicious. I made lots to take over to my aunt, and I even have to take both kinds to her, to get her opinion.

And, I wanted to use those little tiny cabbage leaves at the center, but I couldn't roll them up, so I made these little cabbage "bundles". Just piled them in the pan like this - and I love them! I may even make a bunch like this for little appetizer things for our party next weekend.

They're little - just maybe 2 bites apiece - and the flavor gets into the filling really nicely. The little leaves hold their curled up shape and I just pinched them around the meat/rice a little.

Stacy

• trsinc
    15 years ago

I really enjoy these threads. It's such good inspiration.

Stacy, I like your two versions of cabbage rolls. Good idea.

Tonight we had leftovers and I made the Gooey Apple Cake. It was really good! Thanks dixie, for posting, and stacy (for posting it on the other thread). I left out a cup of sugar in the cake portion and I'm glad I did. Hubby likes things a little sweeter than I do so this cake landed right in the middle. I loooove the texture of this cake and the house smells wonderful. Personally, I could just leave all of the sugar out of the cake portion and really like it but I don't think my husband would, lol. Thank you for sharing! There are very few deserts I go for but I really did like this one and will make it again. Hubby luvvvved it!!

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trsinc glad to hear that you enjoyed the cake and glad that you cut the sugar down to your liking.

Last night was ham steak, quick parmesan mac & cheese, peas and stuffed tomato. Boo on the peas because I only had canned and we are not fans of those but they filled us.

Tonight we decided to get takeout Asian. It was very good.

Wonton Soup and Egg Roll (the Soup had a very good broth tonight and really hit the spot for me).

Beef, Scallops and Vegetables in a rich brown sauce. Also, very good. I love this restaurant!

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Sharon, I hope your daughter's will love their gifts. I have a Fagor set with three different sized pots, one pressure lid and two glass lids. I like them a lot because they have quite heavy bottoms and I can use very high heat to bring them up to pressure without fear of the food burning or sticking to the bottom. I also have a larger 8 qt electric pressure cooker. If I had a place to store it conveniently, I would have a smaller electric one too. I love pushing a few buttons and walking away. Jessica recommended the Lorna Sass book to me and I think it is very good because it has several variations for many of the recipes and gives plenty of basic information so that you can adapt your own recipes to the PC.

Ann, I think it is important to consider the pressure cooker as the first cooking stage for a relatively quick dinner. The dishes that I have been the most happy with have been those to which I do additional finishing steps - browning the lamb shanks quickly under the toaster oven broiler (because the TO heats so quickly) or removing the short ribs from the liquid, defatting it and finishing the sauce by blending or quickly reducing in a small pan on the stove.

Ann and Dixie you both have me wanting ham now, and a potato gratin.

Sol, your photos are lovely and I'm hoping you've shared the recipe for tamarind shrimp. Love your sliced and curled cuke garnish!

Last night we had bulgogi with marinated beef from the Korean market, rice and a sauteed blend of red peppers, small slightly hot Korean peppers and onion. I had an encore meal meal tonight after a long day at my biz. Max is out gallery hopping.

Lee

• User
    15 years ago

Stacie, I'm glad you tried the cabbage rolls and liked them.

Dixie, your take out Asian sure looks better than what we can get from local Asian restaurants. We have to go into Victoria in order to find the good stuff.

Sol, that tart is a masterpiece.

I was off work yesterday so I baked bread again, including a couple of mini loaves. We had one of them as a "starter" with cheese and olives and a glass of Pinot Noir. We had stewing beef with dumplings and served with rutabaga, peas and mashed potatoes.

Tonight we had Grilled Rack of Lamb (local Island lamb) with Sol's zucchini pancakes, (I love these as a side) potato gratin and fresh asparagus.

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

I love your starter course Ann, it's such a relaxing way to begin a meal. Of course a whole meal of starters is high on my list too. Your lamb is perfectly cooked for me and I like the rest of your dinner too. Those zuke pancakes are in my to try file.

Tonight we had black cod sake kasu, one of my favorite fish dishes. Black cod is easily found in Asian markets on the West Coast from Seattle to LA but difficult to buy here, it has large flakes and a buttery mild flavor. Sake Kasu is the sludge or lees left after making sake. I have always bought it as a thick beige paste sold sealed in plastic bags (usually 2-3 pounds) in the refrigerated cases at Japanese markets. It also comes dried in sheets or chunks but I have never used those forms. You thin the paste with a little mirin, add some fresh ginger and smear it over the fish. It needs to marinate for at least two days, but one great thing is that you can leave it marinating for a week in the fridge - handy when dinner plans change. After marinating the paste is wiped off the fish (it would burn easily) and the fish is broiled or grilled. Just before it has finished cooking it is brushed with a thin coating of a reduced teriyake sauce. Whole foods has plain black cod sometimes but almost always has it in a Sake Kasu marinade. Their marinade is quite good and what we had tonight was in their marinade. It is much more white than the Sake Kasu I have bought in bags but the flavor is nice. The fishman at WF told me it comes to them frozen in the mariade. I would describe the flavor as winey, with a slight sweet and ginger undertone. It's very pretty when it is broiled because the oil in the fish leaves lots of caramelization. We also had brown rice and stir fried zucchini wedges. I'm hoping to start taking some pictures soon but for now my camera is at my biz partners house with the chip filled with market pictures.

Lee

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Last night's dinner was a celebration for DS#2's birthday - my baby is now 31 - yikes!

For a little appy I made a version of jalapeno poppers: crescent roll dough wrapped around a mixture of browned sausage, cream cheese, and dice jalapeno peppers. It was o.k. in my opinion, but the family scarfed them up. We had Natty Green's Golden Ale with the "poppers."

Dinner was chicken baked with lots of Penzey's Tuscan Sunset herbs, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. I had thought maybe I would grill the chicken outside, but the weather was rainy and very iffy all day, so baked it was. I also made a good jambalaya with andouille sausage and shrimp. The recipe came from Recipezaar and was very good. Mom brought a salad with greens, fruit, almonds and scallions. For dessert I made a family favorite, Lemon Spongette, with the cake on top and pudding under the cake.

Ann, I think your stewed beef looks delicious - one of my favorite things to cook in a pressure cooker. My mom made it in a PC often when I was a kid growing up - high level comfort food!

Teresa

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Ann, delicious dinners and appy's at your house I see!

Sol, you are amazing...that tart is WOW! how did you do that, I mean the crust???

Dixie we had ham steak the other night too. I have to say I prefer a baked ham to the steaks, something about the texture I don't care for. But def was a quick supper..

Lee, get your camera back! :)

Teresa, sounds like a great bday celebration!

Ham with brown sugar glazed apples, , oven fries, baked caulifl, and corn muffins done in a pumpkin pan with a cheesy grin...:)

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1442231}}

Worms and dirtballs, LOL, oatmeal raisin spider pods, and ghostly tea for dessert. :)

• linda_intennessee
    15 years ago

you guys are killing me
    all i can say is wow.......
    i had a colonoscopy on monday
    cane home and slept for 2 days.
    and woke up with no taste buds
    i have not been hungry
    then i caught a terrible cold....still no taste buds.
    i started making a list of what i had been cooking
    as, Larry, said i stopped cooking.....not
    had ribeye steaks, next nigth ribs, then liver and onions, new york steak, lasagna, cabbage rolls.
    i got a kick out of that one. sometimes i make up mymeat and rice and make balls from them add my tomatoes and sugar and vinegar,then cut the cabbage in shreds and place them all in the pot....and it is just as delicious. sometimes cabbage refuses to roll for me.
    you are all such wonderful cooks...i also made enchiladas and pablano chili rellenos.
    tonight was soup and salad from olive garden
    i ate 1/2 of each, and only because i know i need food. i am still not hungry, but love the wonderful photos.
    you guys are still the bomb !!!

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh it seems that a few of us did ham this week. Ann yours looks lovely along with yours Kathleen. I totally agree with you about baked ham instead of ham steaks but that is what I had in the house. Ann both your beef and lamb look terrific. lsr that Cod dish sounds really good - wonderful description as well as your baked Chicken Teresa. Linda in TN I certainly hope that you are feeling better soon.

Yesterday our plans were changed as it just poured buckets of rain and the wind was high. We just ended up making some sub sandwiches for ourselves, along with roasted tomato soup that I had in the freezer, chips and crisp pickles.

Tonight was chili, cornbread muffins and salad. Everyone talking about cornbread put me in the mood.

• dixiedog_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Husband and I took chili for lunch along w/a corn muffin. The rest was frozen for later use. Today was chilly and windy. For dinner I made pot roast, potatoes, carrots and beans that I had frozen up from summer farmers market. It was nice comfort food on a cold day.

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

Wow... everything looks so good! Ann, that chocolate cake looks amazing... well I don't think it's possible for you to make anything that doesn't... I'm sure you could do wonders with a peanut butter sandwich if you had the desire. I love the contrast of the white chocolate ganache filling!

Sol, that tamarind shrimp and coconut rice looks fabulous! It looks so good that I actually googled recipes for both. What a work of art... I really did almost lick my monitor upon seeing that picture. Glad I stopped short, the dust wouldn't have been good!

Tonight I had leftover chili and cornbread for dinner. I made it for breakfast yesterday, took some to work yesterday, and am just about done with it. Woke up with a terribly sore throat today and didn't really feel like cooking.

Went to Aldi for the first time today and bought a ham. So, that's in the oven now... I was going to wait to cook it, but I bought a flavor injector and just HAD to play with it. The device seems to be more trouble than it's worth (hard to use and clean), but we'll see the results. I blended some pineapple juice, brown sugar, and honey and injected that into the ham. Split pea soup coming soon.. I'll just use the ham bone as I'm not sure how sweet ham would taste in pea soup!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Linda in Tennessee, welcome back! It's been an awfully long time since I've seen you here....

Annie

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Now that I can see all the pictures, LOL, I'm hungry.

Kathleen I love that teapot.

Dinners have been few and far between here, stepmom needs me to collect the tractor payment from my cousin Denny, Mom showed up here at work today for help in getting her old divorce judgment for Social Security purposes from when she divorced Dad in the 70s, Aunt Donna needs help with the life insurance policy. Ashley had a fender bender and needs help with the car insurance adjuster whose schedule doesn't coincide with her class schedule. I'm getting a bit cranky, luckily Elery will be here Wednesday and will be here for nine days, he can take care of me.

And, I'm sure, there will be pictures of what's for dinner. In the meantime I want any sweet thing that's available. Fortunately, there isn't anything here at the office, not even a stray biscotti.

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

For some reason I now have a craving for Chili and pot roast.

Dinner last night was Szechuan Prawns.

And tonight was tacos. Homemade corn tortillas and slow roasted chipotle pork.

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Ann, I would love both your meals. I think we have been missing spice recently; most of our meals have had pretty simple seasonings lately. The grilled flank and roasted butternut squash we had tonight definitely fits that category. I wish I could have just one taco for a late night snack.

We are having gorgeous weather - 75° today and 80° forecast for tomorrow. Best of all we have not had any snow yet.

Lee

• shaun
    15 years ago

Well this isnt dinner, it's lunch for a cool day in Florida!

I made some white bean soup...

• stacy3
    15 years ago

kathleen, great looking Halloween stuff - you should come decorate for my party - and bring all your goodies, please!

well, hi there LIndaintennessee - long time no see! :-)

dixie that's a great photo of chili and corn muffins - so good in fact, you talked me into it. We had chili with muffins a couple of days ago. However, I tried adding cracklins to the corn muffins and was not impressed. Scott, however, loved them. I was kind of ticked at myself, because I tried AnnT's wonderful recipe and the muffins were picture perfect and had a great texture except for that greasy porky taste throughout. ick.

oh Annie, sounds like alot going on. I actually posted in response to you yesterday but I deleted everything and decided against it. I was in such a foul mood, figured I wouldn't subject you all to it. I'll just say that my mother's manipulations were responsible. :-(

Ann, I love your photo of the prawns. It's beautiful, but if I had to choose, I'll have your tacos....mmmm....mmmmm.mmmmmm.mmmmmmm!

And Shaun - you've been holding out on us girl! you only give us a rare photo here or there - come on! That is one gorgeous photo of your soup!

My baby came home with his school photo the other day...I just can't believe how big he's getting. He's almost as tall as I am - gulp. (I'm 5'7") He's having a great year so far in 5th grade...loves his teacher - and feels like quite the big shot as the oldest in the school...

• shaun
    15 years ago

Handsome!! Handsome!!!!!!! Where did that little boy go? Oh my gosh!

• User
    15 years ago

Oh WOW! I can't belive it!!! He is so growed up : (

I can see both of you in him but he seems to be trending towards Dad.

Give him a huge hug from his pal in Canada!

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Kathleen, any kid would love your Halloween table; really cute!

Dinner last night was Tuscan garlic chicken,a chopped salad and an apple tart for dessert. Trevor and I made drop and bake Pillsbury cookies in the morning for him to take home.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

I haven't been in here in forever!

Stacy - who is that young man?!

Sol - tamarind shrimp? Do tell!

I've been dabbling with Indian ingredients, making stuff like basmati rice with coconut and dried fruit, topped with plain yogurt. DH loves that. He says he likes the contrast of the hot rice and the cold yogurt. I read about "yogurt-rice" in Monsoon Diaries, so I tried a version of it.

I've also been making a lot of lentils and beans with Indian-style spices - ginger, jalapenos, onion, cumin seed, mustard seed, coriander seed (I love these), etc. Also lots of turmeric, since it's a natural anti-inflammatory. I made chickpea patties once - they were good.

Last night was a quickie meal - small piece of seared ahi tuna on sauteed baby spinach and summer squash. Persimmon muffins for dessert. I used Cathyid's cookie recipe but baked them in small muffin cups instead. Yummmmm.