SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelmar99_gw

Adult brother living with me but not willing to do chores

angelmar99
14 years ago

I am hoping to get advice from parents out there since I'm not a parent myself and could use some help!

My parents and 21 year old brother moved in with me and my husband 1 year ago because they lived in a different country and wanted to permanently move to the United States. My mom is working, my dad is looking for a job, and my brother goes to college full time. However, my brother has been on summer break the last couple months and has proven to be the laziest person on the planet! Everyone was complaining about how the chores were going to get done so I created a chart and we all divided tasks in a fair way. My brother is the only one who doesn't follow through with his chores, and my parents don't know how to handle him. He spends his days sleeping, then he's awake at night playing on the computer. He did this for the last 2 months! I'm 9 years older than him and he doesn't listen to me. He lives in our house rent-free and he acts as this is his right and not a gift. I know the problem comes from a lifetime of my parents not knowing how to set up rules for him from the start, and now the damange is done. No one can tell him what to do or punish him. I'm running out of ideas. How can I make him show some respect and realize that he should be grateful for what he has? I love him very much but this needs to change.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored