SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alicia58801

Layout input please...is this finally The One?

alicia58801
15 years ago

Well, finalizing this kitchen layout has been more difficult than choosing a husband. And if I don't figure it out and stop changing my mind soon, I may be looking for a new husband! He's so sick of my obsession with this, but I just want to get it right.

Last week I posted this layout thinking it was going to work, but after going over it with the cabinet guy and seeing it in 3-D, I no longer like it.

The island is too awkward and overall it feels too closed in.

So I made some changes and I think this may be the one...tell me what you think. I've tried to take into account the advice I've been given, and it feels the best so far. However, there are a few things I'm still not sure about. I wanted to eliminate a corner, open up the kitchen, and create more space for the island. So I moved the ovens, put in a doorway, and made a wall with a small run of shallow pantry cabinets.

To update the facts:

We are a family of 4 with a large extended family, most of whom live nearby. I enjoy entertaining and can't wait to have a house large enough to accomodate a big group.

This is new construction. The outer walls have been framed in. The window and the wall on the left are still moveable.

There is a loft above the kitchen, so the ceilings will be 8 ft. in the kitchen and 17 ft. in the dining and living rooms.

The dimensions of the room are 14' 7" by 14' 6". The window is 68 1/2" to the edge of the trim.

Here's a layout of part of the main living area to give you an idea of what's around the kitchen. Disregard this kitchen layout, as it is the one I don't like anymore!

My questions:

Is it weird to have a doorway into the kitchen just inside the main entrance? And it is awkward to have the dbl. ovens in the corner by that doorway? It won't be a high traffic area, so I thought it might work. I couldn't find another place to fit the ovens.

My husband hates rectangular islands and says they have "no character". I, however, love them and think this island will be the most functional for work area and seating area. What do you think?

Are there any other glaring mistakes that I'm missing. Thanks so much for your wisdom and input!

Alicia

Comments (42)