SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

how to pick a designer and get quality from a full service pro

elphaba_gw
12 years ago

How do you decide on a designer for your kitchen (or house?). We think the one we now have is "indifferent" (my husband's words).

There were other problems too but main problem in my opinion is she isn't that good. Another problem could be the nature of the profession. How does a design done by a pro who has only thought about your house for a few hours compete with a homeowner's ideas that are a result of thinking about your house for maybe 10 years and [also includes all the wonderful suggestions and knowledge from this forum?]

How do you find out how good they are before you sign a contract? Seems like the really good ones have earned a great reputation and are so busy, they no longer have the time to spend on what seems like a small project like your kitchen. From what I can tell, even if you are good, kitchen design, really good kitchen design can take a LOT of time so end result is that even though they have created some beautiful kitchens in the past, yours turns out not so great because they are too soon on to the next paycheck.

So..those of you who are happy hiring a full up designer, i.e one that isn't cheap but produces plans that can be submitted for permits to be pulled (along with plans showing elevations, etc. ), how did you decide on "the one"? Does luck play as much a part in this as I think it does?

Reviews now can often be found on the web for these kinds of professionals. When I've found them in any quantiy, seems like there are many who didn't like the pro as well as many who did (kind of like life, everyone has different opinions.)

And doesn't help that I'm getting more and more TKO every day as I think and plan and anticipate (and read this forum). I think my expectations are probably way over the top. Can any here relate?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz