SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
globe199

Painting wood paneling

globe199
15 years ago

Hello, here's a question about painting wood paneling. Our lower level has one wall (about 11ft x 7ft) covered in a thick wood panel. It is currently painted off-white, although the paint job is nothing special. We hate the wood panel look so we're wanting to match it with the rest of the basement, which is all drywall. There are three options I can foresee, keeping in mind that the basement has a false (suspended) ceiling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(1) remove the panel and install drywall. this will require removing part of the ceiling grid and tiles, which is nailed directly to the panel. this option is obviously the most difficult but may give the best results.

(2) drywall directly over panel. this would eliminate having to mess with the ceiling. the main thing i'm worried about here is, what do i use for a top edge of the drywall where it meets the ceiling grid? the grid probably 3/4-inch wide, so even with the thickest drywall, there will be some visible edge at the top. what should i do here?

(3) prepare the panel and paint it again. the wood panel is pretty standard in appearance with normal grooves. i'd want to fill the grooves and paint it again. i've seen some advice online about doing this. has anyone done it?

i'm thinking i'd first clean the panel, then sand it, prime it, mud/tape/fill grooves, sand again, prime again, paint. i'm liking this option best because it seems like the least amount of difficult work. but what will the results be?

does anyone have any experience with this? thanks!

Comments (5)