SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trishann_gw

Need advice on painted wall paper

trishann
15 years ago

Hi there! We recently purchased a home where we discovered that in one of the bedrooms the previous owner had painted over wallpaper. I have to say myself that the walls look pretty crummy.The wallpaper beneath the paint is beginning to bubble and the walls just don't look smooth.I have had two painters come to look at the room. One painter felt that the paint should be completely stripped and the wallpaper removed.He felt that even if he put compound over the walls that eventually in a few years we would encounter the same problem with the paper beginning to bubble. The other painter said it was not necessary to remove the wall paper. He said the walls could be "skim coated" with a few layers of compound, sanded, then primed with an oil based primer and repainted. I need some expert advice on what to do. There is not too much price difference in the quotes that each of them gave. It's just that the stripping would be a much bigger job but I'm willing to do that if it's the best way to do it. Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)