SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Decision Time - Need some input

berryberry
16 years ago

OK, we met with 3 different KDs a few weeks ago - and this week re'd their design and prices. We are keeping our same basic footprint - and I had laid things out ahead of time, with a whole host of details based on my research here. They all represent a different cabinet line - all semi-custom lines and all meet our quality criteria. They did do some slight differences in design and features - but their pricing is a fair distance apart. Note, the price below is for old cabinet removal, necessary remodeling (not a lot needed since its the same basic layout), new cabinets, granite estimate, cabinet / appliance installation and light installation. I am making sure I am comparing apples to apples with each - none include sink, faucet, pendants, ceiling fan, appliances that we will buy. I estimate we have about 55 lineal feet of cabinets and about 60 sq feet of granite. We are going with two styles of cabinets - stained cherry wood on most and painted / distressed maple on a few pieces. Now its time to make some decisions and I need your input. Here is the background:

Company A - Lowest price - $37K overall - $22K cabinets - $5500 Granite (medium grade). Probably the least bells and whistles. Cabinets not all plywood construction. Uses same granite company as company C - however they say they will charge me their cost for granite - which is $5500. Includes a $500 allowance for cabinet pulls. Does not have the flexibility to make one of the wall cabinets we want 18" deep - can only do 12" or 15"

Company B - Medium price - $40K overall - $24K cabinets, $7500 granite - medium grade. A number of bells and whistles. Probably the most creative from a design perspective to work with - suggested some things we didn't think about even after all our research here. Although they added some of their own ideas and missed one cabinet in our design that we need - so price will go up my guess by $1K. Very well built, all plywood cabinets. 3/4" plywood drawer box (most sturdiest of the 3). Only downside is there is their door styles are not as exciting as the others.

Company C - Highest price - $50K overall - $30K cabinets, $8300 granite. Has every bell and whistle possible. Captured our vision exactly - but added some things I am not sure we need. I think we can cut $3K to $4K out off cabinet price and still not sacrifice what we are looking for. Has the one door we really like the best out of any. Biggest concern is they blow our budget - they are higher on everything, cabinets, granite, labor. I am particularly perplexed as to granite. They use same granite fabricator as Company A - so prices should be fairly comparable - but they are $2800 or over 50% different. If I could get granite price to same as Company A - and reduce cabinet price by $3K - $4k by taking out some unneeded bells and whistles - they would be our first choice. But they tell us there is no way the other company can do granite for that price - its below their cost.

So my questions are:

1. If you were in our shoes, what direction would you go in?

2. Any thoughts on the granite pricing disparity?

3. In thinking about eliminating some bells and whistles for Company C - can you give me your input of what you think of the following:

- currently spec'd blumotion softclose on all drawers. Thinking of eliminating it on some - just keeping it on major use drawers

- Thinking of changing one large 3 drawer base to a 2 drawer base (have 2 other 3 drawer bases). For people with 2 deep drawers - do you find this helpful? Do you have a deep drawer organizer in it or just wide open

- We have several varied height / depth cabinets. On many of these that but up against one another - they have spec'd flush finished ends. they say it will look better with crown molding (no notching) and provide a cleaner look. I understand what they are saying - but how noticeable is this

- and is it worth around $800 to do this (note - this is separate from the cabinets with fully exposed ends which they have spec'd to be finished like another door)

Thanks

Comments (8)