SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tami_ohio

Asiago Bread recipe?

tami_ohio
14 years ago

A friend in Michigan introduced us to Asiago Bread that they buy at VG's market. Does anyone have a recipe for it? It seems to be an Italian bread base, but I don't know if it's just on top, or in the bread, also. DS thinks it's in the bread, not just on top. We'd really like to try to make it, as I don't have a local source for it. TIA

Tami

Comments (45)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Really very easy....just put some grated asiago into a basic 4 i9ngredient bread....and sprinkle a little bit on to0p.
    spme asiago breads also have a bit of garlic in them....and if your fave has that, roast some garlic and mash that and include in the dough.
    If you have a recipe for bread....just add some asiago.
    Linda C

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, now I have to go find some asiago!

Tami

• Related Discussions

Foccacia Bread recipe for a bread maker?

Q

Comments (5)
    Karen - Just yesterday I cracked my "Bread Machines for Dummies" in an effort to finally motivate to try my bread machine. Here's a paraphrased version of their recipe. Obviously not T&T but I'd expect it to be reliable. Dump in room temp ingredients in the following order: 1 cup water 2T olive oil 1t salt 4t sugar 3 cups flour 2.25t active dry yeast Select Dough or Manual setting. Once cycle is complete, shape into a ball on lightly floured surface. Place on greased cookie sheet and flatten to a 10" circle. Prick with a fork. Arrange toppings (suggestions are thinly sliced roasted pepper, sun-dried tomato, red onions, olives, green pepper, sesame seeds, sauteed onions with sugar and salt) and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle Italian seasoning, S&P to taste. Cover and let rise about 15 min. Bake in preheated 375 oven for 25 to 30 min. Good luck!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Looking for good old fashioned homemade bread recipe.

Q

Comments (9)
    Here's one I haven't long time!! Almost forgot about it! But it's wonderful and makes the most awesome toast! Dartmouth oatmeal bread.... Proof 1 packet of dry yeast with 2 Tsp sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water. Stir 1 cup of rolled oats ( not instant!) into 2 cups of boiling water Add 2 Tablespoons shortening ( I use crisco.....but bet originally they used lard) 1/2 cup dark molasses Mix and cool Add the yeast mix to the oatmeal mix. Add 5 or so cups of bread flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover loosley let rise until double....punch down....let rise again....shape into 2 loaves, let rise until double and bake at 350 50 or 60 minutes! And...another Here's a Rye bread Makes 6 loaves. Cook 4 medium potatoes (peeled), drain saving the water and put through a sieve (or mash) proof 2 pkts of yeast (or 3 1/2 teaspoons) in 1/2 cup warm water with a t. of sugar. Mix 4 c. of buttermilk, 3/4 c. dark molasses, 1/4 cup of shortening (she used Crisco, I use butter) and 1 t. baking soda and 1T.salt. Add 3/4 c. brown sugar and 3/4 c, of the potato water. Add enough rye flour to make a dough ( still able to be stirred, but getting pretty stiff).Add the yeast mixture and mix well Add enough white bread flour to (as Mrs. Faust said)work it up, That is until it is stiff enough to knead. knead about 6 to 8 minutes, let rise till double, punch it down and shape into loaves. this works best in bread pans due to the long cooking time--if you don't have 6 bread pans, just "free form" the rest and maybe take it out of the oven a little sooner. Butter top of loaves and raise until it almost cracks on top (this is a very heavy bread!) Bake 350 for 1 1/4 hours. mrs Faust used to divide the dough in half and add about a t. of anise seed to -one half of the dough--I like it--almost like a tea bread.. Good Luck--I'm getting hungry just reading the recipe--it's really a fabulous bread! And this....known to Swedes as Limpa....and Ann's bread is wonderful! From the Kitchen of Ann Straight Swedish Rye Bread (5 loaves) 2pkg dry yeast 1 cup warm H2O dissolve these three ingredients 1tsp. sugar (meanwhile) 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup whiter sugar 1tsp. salt (scant) 1/4 tsp. fennel seed 1 cup shortening (I use oleo) 1/2 (scant) molasses 4 cups warm H2O (combine this), add yeast mixture Stir in 4 cups Rye Flour Work in 8 or more cups of white flour (I use 10 cups) The dough should be soft, but of course it should be workable Knead for 5 minutes Mix well--cover and let rise in warm place until double--- stir or punch down Dump out on lightly floured counter Divide into 5 sections---shape Place in greased pans--let rise Bake at 275 -300 degrees until done
    ...See More

RECIPE: Good bread: Jamaican Jungle Bread

Q

Comments (3)
    Westelle, it's a moist bread. Delightful. Fellow co-worker shared her recipe with me, many years ago, and I've been making it every year. I give it *****
    ...See More

RECIPE: Need good tasting wheatless bread & cookie recipes

Q

Comments (5)
    Here is my favorite recipe for peanut butter cookies..... ~2 cups peanut butter ~2 cups sugar ~2 eggs ~1 teaspoon vanilla ~Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets. ~Beat peanut butter and sugar in bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla ~Roll dough into 1" balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheet. With tines of fork, press crosshatches to flatten. ~Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on rack. For this recipe, I've found that natural peanut butters (the kind you have to stir together) do not work well. I also like to vary it by adding different kinds of chips. Chocolate, peanut butter and white chocolate are all good. I also don't usually bother to flatten them with a fork and they still come out fine.
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    You can Sub Parmesan but Romano is cheaper.

Take some Pizza Dough and put it on an oiled cookie sheet.
    Flatten it out to the edges ( about an inch thick ).
    Visualise it divided into 1/3 parts.( the length )
    On the center 3rd spread a thin coat of EVOO.
    Sprinkle Garlic Powder and some Onion Powder over this.
    Sprinkle Romano Cheese or your Asiaso Cheese on next.
    Optional:
    Slice some of your favorite onion thin and cut into 1 inch pieces .( about 2 tablespoons )
    Spread this on top of the Cheese.

On either side of the center, cut the dough into 1 1/4 inch strips, from the edge towards the center.
    Fold the strips, across the center portion, diagonally.
    Starting from the center and working out to the ends, crisscrossing as you go.

Fold the ends of the loaf under and pinch it down.
    Tuck all the side ends under a little.
    Turn the loaf in the pan and stretch it out, slightly.
    Press down on the side edges a little to seal the ends of the strips that were folded under.

Beat an egg with a little milk and baste the top.
    Sprinkle on Garlic Powder Onion powder, some Sesame Seeds and Romano or Asiago Cheese.
    Let this rise until doubled and place into a preheated 375 Deg.oven, until a Golden brown.
    About 35 minutes. cool on a rack.

A lot of word's but it is easy !!!

If I have time tommorrow I'll make a loaf and put in some photo's.
    Lou

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Lou, I NEED lots of words! I will give it a try, right after I buy the cheese. But I will be leaving out the garlic powder, as I am allergic to garlic. My son would be in heaven if I put it in, but I can't even walk into an Italian restaraunt without breaking out in hives, so he will do without until he moves out!

Going grocery shopping today. Thanks.

Tami

• momto4kids
    14 years ago

This sounds great...but how much cheese? I think I go overboard when I try to do this. I'd like to give it a try this weekend. Thanks!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Lou's recipe will turn out like a cinnamon roll but with cheese in the place of the cinnamon.
    Asiago bread I have eaten has the cheese in the bread and sometimes on top to brown when it bakes.
    Asiago cheese has a much more assertive taste than either Parmesan or Romano.
    Linda c

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    I was trying to keep things simple.
    Not everyone mixes Asiago in the dough !!!!!

I forgot about your Garlic Allergy.

But if you are making the dough, mix 3/4 cup of the Asiago, into the hot milk or water,
    let it cool to warm and mix in the other ingredients.

You can just let the Dough double, punch it down,
    then place it on the cookie sheet, Like a round thick Pizza shape.
    1 1/2 inches thick in the center.
    Make Dimples all over the top, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
    Go down to the Tin with your finger.
    Baste it with egg and sprinkle on some Basil.
    Let it double and bake in a Preheated 375 Deg.oven until, a very light gold color.
    Take it out and baste it again with beaten egg and
    put Asiago on top. As much as you like.

Bake the bread until a Golden Brown color.
    It should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a rack.

If you need a recipe for Dough ,
    Google " Lou's Pizza Dough " It's in the Garden Web Post.

I'll still make it the first way and add some Parmesan and
    Provolone into the Dough mix.
    If I have time !!! and I'll put in some Photo's
    LOU

• lindac
    14 years ago

Here's how I make asiago bread:
    In a large bowl, mix together:
    3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon of salt ( I cut down on the salt from basic bread because of the salt in the cheese)
    And 3 to 4 oz of grated asiago cheese. Depending on how fine you grate it, about 3/4 to one cup of cheese.
    Then in a 2 cup glass measuring cup, proof 2 envelopes of dry instant ( or fast rise...doesn't matter) yeast in 1/2 cup of baby bottle warm water with a teaspoon of sugar.
    When bubbly, add enough cold water to equal 1 1/2 cups of liquid in the cup.
    Make a well in the flour mixture and add the water and yeast.
    Mix well, either with a spoon your hands or a stand mixer.
    When you can knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes.
    Place in a greased bowl and cover with oiled plastic and allow to rise until double.
    Deflate and turn the dough over in the pan, cover again and allow to double again.
    Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board, divide in half and flatten one half by beating on it with the side of your fists. when all the bubbles are out, roll up and form into a baton shape and place on a cornmeal covered peel or on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
    Repeat with the other half of the dough.
    cover again with oiled parchment and let rise until almost double....slash with a razor blade a lame or a box cutter ( that's what I use!)
    Place into a preheated 375 oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes until it sounds hollow when tapped.

I like to add some roasted garlic with the liquid...and/or some parsley. If you like parsley I suggest adding about 4 Tablespoons of dried parsley to the flour dry mix before adding the liquid.

I mix the grated cheese in with the flour, because if you mix it into hot liquid it gets stringy and I wouldn't like to try to mix melted cheese into the dough mix.
    You can put more grated cheese on top, but it will get quite brown.
    This bread is fairly dense due to beating the bubbles out...it's not at all sweet tasting and fairly chewy due to the fact that the only fat in it is that which is in the cheese.
    I have a friend who bakes this in a juice can and makes round sandwiches out of the slices....very nice for party sandwiches!
    Linda C

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

I've been making Asiago Bread using the 5 Minute Artisan Bread recipe and method. I found fresh Asiago at the store and gave it a try, really nice in the bread. It's a little softer and melts in better. I egg wash the loaves and use plenty on the outside too.

Asiago Bread Adapted from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007) Time: About 45 minutes plus about 3 hours resting and rising 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt 6 1/2 cups unbleached, all\-purpose flour, more for dusting dough Cornmeal. 1\. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours). 2\. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit\-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it. 3\. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes. 4\. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely. Yield: 4 loaves. Variation: If not using stone, stretch rounded dough into oval and place in a greased, nonstick loaf pan. Let rest 40 minutes if fresh, an extra hour if refrigerated. Heat oven to 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Place pan on middle rack. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nancy's Asiago Bread Variation 1 Cup fresh Asiago + plus addional for sprinkeling on top of loaves\* Follow the directions for the Simple Crusty Bread but toss the cup of shredded asiago with a little of the flour then add with the rest of the flour. The flavor will be more intense if you leave out at least 3 hours and refrigerate at least 24 hours before using. Before baking brush partially risen bread with a mixture of one egg beaten with 1 Tbsp of water and sprinkle with additional shreded Asiago cheese. Slash top of loaves and continue to let rise until doubled. In the above recipe the 40 mins of rest time is for room temp dough. The additional 1 hr is for when the dough is cold. The recipe makes 3\-4 loaves depending on the size or "hunk" of dough you pull out of the batch. With the cheese in the dough I try to use all the dough up in seven days. The flavor really does improve with age. Nancy
  • hawk307
    14 years ago

Nancy:
    I saw recipes like your's and some melt the cheese into the hot water and let it cool to warm.
    I'll have to try the Artisan Bread recipe again.

Tami:
    I couldn't find the Asiago Cheese, so I subed a mizture of Trader Jose's fancy Shredded Mexican Blend and added Parmesan and Provolone.
    The Blend had a mixture of Sharp Cheddar, Monterey Jack,
    Asadero and Queso Blanco Cheeses.

But I didn't take my own advice , to bake til it was a Golden Color , then
    Baste it again with egg and add the Basil and Cheese,
    on top, so it wouldn't burn or cook too much.
    I put the Cheese on too soon and it Cooked too much.

But it was still good.
    I let the Dough double 2 times then, cut with a scissors, folded it like in the Photo.
    Lou

{{!gwi}}

Folded:

{{!gwi}}

Fini: Ugly !!!

{{!gwi}}

• Terrapots
    14 years ago

That bread looks gorgeous, all the recipes sound great. Let's see when can I make this? I'm afraid I'll eat the whole thing myself. Asiago cheese is DD's favorite cheese on her pasta dishes.

• Tracey_OH
    14 years ago

I'll throw another recipe into the mix in addition to all the wonderful ones here. I use this recipe as a basis for asiago and cheddar garlic artisan bread-I don't like olives so I just add in small blocks of whatever cheese I'm using instead. It doesn't make a large loaf, but the texture is wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culinary Institute of America rustic olive bread

• graylight
    14 years ago

Oh my God I think I died and went to heaven! My two ultimate favorites, cheese and bread...together! Lou, your bread looks fantastic and all the other recipe ideas sound great too.

mmmmm.... cheese
    mmmmm..... bread
    (my variation on Homer Simpson)

I know what I'm making tonight but I wonder if adding carmelized onion and roasted garlic would be too much?

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tracy :
    I haven't used Bread Flour for years.

Bought it from a Bakery Supply in large bags, when I had the Pizzeria.

I'll have to find some and give it a go.

I like the Cheese, Garlic and Onion combo, so it doesn't matter if I sub Parmesan.
    - - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone else melt the Cheese into the hot water ???

I have to try mixing it into the flour.

Graylight : try your Roasted Garlic and Carmelized Onion,
    Sounds Good.
    Lou

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I am blending Lou's idea with Nancy's recipe. It was 8:30 last night when I started Nancy's recipe. Do to the arthritis in my shoulder talking to me with the rain we had, I had my DS helping me mix it. I forgot to add the cheese to the flour when he mixed it for me. Soooooo, plain artisan bread, two loaf pans, and one braided with cheese. It's rising now. I'll take pics before I put it in the oven, and after it comes out, if I can remember that far! Oh, did that sponge smell good last night! With the cooler weather, I'm more inclined to fuss in the kitchen a little more, and as I don't like to fuss in the kitchen, that says a lot. I'll be checking out Tracey's recipe, also.

Lou, your bread looks great!

Tami

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    How can you blend Lou and Nancy's ideas. We're not even engaged.

I am going to put the Cheese on the top after it turns a Golden color,
    So it doesn't cook too much.

I use a Plant Sprayer to spray the loaves if there are hot spots, or the top is baking too fast.
    LOU

• graylight
    14 years ago

Well, I ended up making pizza using Lou's pizza dough recipe with some asiago cheese mixed in. I mixed the sugar and 1/2 cup warm water together then added yeast and let it sit til foamy. In my bread pan (yes I used a bread maker
    :-( I put the salt at the bottom, then flour, oil and yeast mixture on top. I added the cheese as soon as I saw the dough start to form in the pan. When finished, I spread it onto a cookie sheet with my fingers. On top of the dough, I added slices of provolone cheese, then sauce (Bertolli's organic tomato and basil) then whole milk mozzerella with a little more asiago. The pizza crust had a wonderful texture and flavor.

Lou, thank you so much for the pizza dough recipe, we all loved it, especially my vegetarian son who will not eat meat.

I didn't have time to caramelize the onion and garlic though because I also made a pot roast with vegetables, and I like to make sure the onions cook in the butter slowly... I just ran out of time. Next time I'll do it though. I think I'll form the dough into dinner rolls with a nice soup.

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Before:

After:

Now, how long do I REALLY have to wait before we can sample it? (Begging and pleading to cut it NOW!)

Tami

• lindac
    14 years ago

Why are you waiting? It looks yummy!
    Did you use asiago? Or another cheese.
    LOL! Forget I said that you can't make asiago cheese bread without asiago!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    Looks good !!! How goooood was it ???

Graylight :
    I did the same thing tonight. Only thing I subbed Parmesan.
    Made a Pizza Snack for supper. 9 inch

Used my Pasta Meat Sauce baked it about 10 minutes and
    added Parmesan, cutup Meatballs and
    over that Sargento Classic Pizza double Cheese, Mozzarella
    and Cheddar.
    Then laid on some strips of Provolone.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Had a small piece of Dough left so,
    I made an 8 inch, Prebaked Pizza Dough and stuck it in the freezer.

LOU

{{!gwi}}

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    I hope that's the old Pyrex, you are using.
    Just read an Article tonite, on the newer Pyrex exploding in the Oven.
    Sometimes when it was picked up from the oven.
    I don't know if this is true ?

Anyone hear about this ??? They are made in China.
    I can Post the Article .
    Lou

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, we were good girls and boys and waited for breakfast to try it. Flavor is good homemade bread, but almost no asiago flavor. We only cut a regular loaf, not the braided one. Maybe we'll try that at supper.

Linda, we waited so it wouldn't be gummy being cut right out of the oven, and I really shouldn't be eating bread that late at night, anyway. I know once I started on fresh out of the oven bread, that would be the end of the loaf!

Lou, the pyrex is probably 27 years old. I don't remember buying it, so it must have been a wedding shower gift. I hadn't heard about the exploding pyrex, but it wouldn't surprise me. It is VERY difficult to find any glass cookware/bakeware that isn't made in China. In fact, I haven't been able to find any. And your pizzas look yummy!

I will be making more, just as soon as we finish these! I'll probably stay with the artisan version, and mix the starter in the KA, then transfering it to a larger bowl. I was amazed at how much the starter rises! I have a 5# margarine tub that I have used for 3-4 years for my sour dough starter, which fits fairly well in my crowded frige, that we started it in, but I had to transfer it to a large stainless steel bowl, being the largest bowl I had to put it in. It had come up over the top of the tub at least an inch an hour after I made it.

Tami

• lindac
    14 years ago

Bread that is cooked enough won't get gummy when cut hot...
    Ask me how I know!! LOL!
    How much asiago did you put into that 2 loaf recipe?...next time add more!
    As for the exploding Pyrex...see below....and Pyrex has been made with soda-lime glass for about 25 years.
    Never heard of the problem? Me neither until the internet "forward the sensational email" got a hold of it. It's right up there with "deodorant causes breast cancer".
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Debunked myth

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, I didn't put any "in" the two standard loaves. I forgot to put it in with the flour when we made the starter. It only went on top. The whole thing was made with Nancy's artisan recipe. The braided loaf has cheese in the center and on top. We haven't cut that yet.

Guess you can't resist the taste of fresh out of the oven bread, either!

Tami

• lindac
    14 years ago

Contrary to what you may have heard....bread doesn't improve with age LOL!
    Hot bread is fabulous....what are you saving it for?
    Next time try putting about 1/2 cyp of grated asiago into the dough for a loaf....most if your recipe is larger

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    14 years ago

I made this sourdough recipe last weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asiago Onion Bread from Farine

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ummm, you know that 20+ lbs I've lost? I may be in trouble. Especially if I get this asiago right. I'd forgotten just how good home made bread is!

Tomorrow or Tues, I'll make another batch and try to remember to put the cheese in when I'm supposed to!

jxbrown, yours looks good, also.

Tami

• dlynn2
    14 years ago

I have nothing to add about asiago bread, I just wanted give my sympathies to you about your hives --- I can not even imagine living in a world without Garlic!!! You poor darling.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    If you can remember and don't want the Cheese on top baked
    as much,
    put the top Cheese on after it is Baked to a Golden Tan.

I think the one I Baked ( in the Photo ) the Cheese cooked a little too long.
    Lou

• hawk307
    14 years ago

PS
    I did it again, hit the wrong button !!!

Pyrex:
    Believe what you want about anything.

I don't believe Snopes but that is only me.

You know the old saying " take it with a grain of Salt " ?

I'm either a Doubting Thomas or from " Mi sor a ".
    Maybe going to my brother's farm in Mo., rubbed off on me.

I'm talking from experiences.
    Relatives and friends who have used Pyrex and exploded for no reason, that they know of.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Excuses are, it was Scratched, bumped, set on a cold surface, etc. etc.etc.

If it is that touchy, it shouldn't be on the market.
    I saw how they make Pyrex on TV and how it was tested for Safety.
    They took hot Pyrex and imersed it into cold water.
    Don't know how many times this is done.

I never had a problem with my Pyrex, it is the old Pyrex.

I've had 5 dishes made by a well known Manufacturer,explode
    in my Micro Wave .
    They were Micro Wave Safe.

5 times ??? I'm a die hard.

I contacted the Company , Nothing was ever done , not even to replace the Dishes.

Reported it to the Safety Bureau. Nothing ?
    For those who use Snopes, Google this.
    " Does Snopes get paid to lie ".

Ask about all the other sources, the same Question.
    Then, Believe what you want ???

LOU

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lou, if Snopes is wrong, as you say, then I would say that LindaC is right, her source (George Mason University) SAYS that Snopes was wrong, that Pyrex is still made in the U.S. and that it's still safe. I know I have some new Pyrex and some old Pyrex, and I use both. I'm using a 5x7 inch Pyrex dish right now to eat lunch, reheated broccoli and some beets. They go from the refrigerator to the microwave without any problems and they don't melt in the microwave like those cheap plastic things do.

I have two and I've used them interchangeably five days a week for about 6 or 7 years now. The only problem I have is that the plastic lid breaks eventually, so I have two glass containers and only one lid.

I did have one Pyrex casserole that broke. Something about taking it from a 400F oven and putting it into the stainless steel sink. Sigh. I didn't do that, Ashley did, but the dish broke. It didn't shatter, it cracked right smack in half.

Tami, add a couple of cups of shredded asiago right to your dough next time, I'll bet you get a cheesy flavor that way.

Oh, and I currently have Ashley's bunny, Molly, living with me. The cat hates her. LOL

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    What do you want me to do.??? That's why I put the last thread .

Just putting in my opinions. I don't trust any of the sources anymore.

When I seen how Pyrex is tested, over and over, from hot to cold.
    There is no reason, taking it out of the oven, on to a Pot holder , that it should explode.
    Except, for extra rough treatment.

Just because your experience and a few others have good luck doesn't mean it is universal.

I'm sure everyone who said the Pyrex exploded, weren't lying .

I'm trying to give some caution, using the product.
    I just bought a very large Pyrex Cassorole.
    LOU

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lou, you said that you didn't trust Snopes, and Snopes said it was true. So that would mean you didn't believe it was true, but then you said you DID believe it was true.

So, I was all confused on whether you didn't trust Snopes, who said it was true, or whether you DID trust Snopes, who said it was true. Aw heck, now I'M confused.

I can only go on my own experience, I love Pyrex and use it all the time and have only had one break in the 40 or so years I've been using it, so it's worked fine for me, even my new ones. Don't set a hot dish in a cold sink, though.....

According to the Pyrex site, though, they ARE made in the USA, and in fact, are made right there in Pennsylvania!

Made in the USA: PYREX® glass products sold in North America have been manufactured in the United States since 1915, and are currently manufactured at our Charleroi, Pennsylvania plant near Pittsburgh.

Annie

• graylight
    14 years ago

Lou, I made your dough again today and formed them into 12 dinner rolls, of course with asiago cheese. I made a ratatouille to go along with them. I can't thank you enough for the recipe. The dough rises beautifully and the taste and texture are superb!

My son said the pizza I made the other day was the best.

Thank you!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    Now you have me confused.In about my 4 th Thread up,
    I said " I don't know if this was true "

The excuses that were given for exploding Pyrex were on Snopes.
    but it was later said that it wasn't true.
    So I Googled " Does Snopes Get paid to lie "
    Give it a try.

Think I already told Tami or someone to put some
    " Grated "Cheese in the Dough or flour.

Graylight:
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't found Asiago yet so
    I'm going to use Parmesan and Provolone.
    Maybe sprinkle some Garlic Powder and Basil in too.
    Let you know how it turns out.
    Lou

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    You have me confused too.
    I pushed the wrong button again, about an Hour ago.
    I don't feel like typing it all over again.
    About 4 of my threads up, I said, I didn't know if this was true.
    I saw Pyrex on " Made in America "

Googled " Does Snopes get paid to lie "
    I even told my Daughter about Snopes.
    If I said something wrong , sorry.
    - - - - - - - - -
    I told Tami or someone to put some Cheese in the Dough or Flour.???

Graylight:
    You thanked me enough with your Positive Feedback.

I didn't come across any Asiago so I'm going to use my
    Parmesan and Provolone with a little bite.
    Could add a little Garlic and basil

Maybe I'll call it Parvalone Bread.
    I will keep you posted.

Getting a little tired !!! All this fuss over Pyrex !

Just watched the Eagles win over the Redskins.
    That helped pick me up a little.
    Lou

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lou, I found asiago at my grocery store, about the only one in the area that is of any size, Giant Eagle. Hate their prices, but you gotta shop in what's available, Sam's Club, and of all places, Aldi's.

Glad the game perked you up some.

Tami....who is almost out of bread again. Time to start more!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Tami, when elery and I were making italian sausage we bought a big chunk of Asiago at Sam's Club, it was less than $10 for, I think, about 3 pounds. I shredded it and froze it because it got used mostly in the sausage and in bread, so freezing didn't hurt it at all.

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

Tami, your bread looks wonderful.

As much as I agree with Linda that warm bread right out of the oven is wonderful, there really is a difference in texture and in flavour when a loaf is left to cool before slicing. Even if you let it cool a little before slicing you will notice a difference.

Although I will still dig in to a right-out-of-the oven Baguette, I never slice Rye or whole wheat breads until they have totally cooled.

Ann

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Tami:
    There is an Aldi's in another town. I'll take a look.
    The price couldn't be as much as Parmesan.
    Lou
    PS: Their " Mamma Cozzi's Spaghetti Sauce " is pretty good.
    LOU

• lindac
    14 years ago

When I had family at home and would bake at least 4 loaves at a time....one was always the "sacrifice"...to be ripped into while it was still too hot to touch..and the butter melted and dripped on your fingers...and it was delicious...
    I remember my grandmother saying...."now you just wait! You'll ruin the rest of the loaf if you cut it right now!!"
    And I resolved that the rest of the loaf was not as important as those first few wonderful hot slices.....and always give permission to dig right in!
    Last week I cooked for a church meeting....made a pot of corn chowder, broke up some greens, made a dressing and baked 4 loaves of basic food processor French bread....whisked them directly from the oven to the table and 6 people ate 2 3/4 loaves of fresh hot bread.
    And Ann....never have fresh hot rye nor whole wheat bread?? It's never better!
    Linda C

• annie1992
    14 years ago

OK, I'll weigh in on this discussion. I always eat the bread, hot from the oven, I never wait. I know I'm "supposed" to, and Grandma always forbid cutting a hot loaf.

Now it's my kitchen and I tear the end chunk off regularly. Sometimes I butter it, sometimes I don't, and I don't differentiate between types, I'll eat any of it hot. Hey, the rest of the loaf can sit and get cool, it'll be OK.

Ann T is right, there is a difference in texture, hot bread is kind of mushy or gummy, I can't explain it. Doesn't stop me, though, and my family always wants dinner rolls hot from the oven, in spite of the texture.

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    When I was young; I can't remember when that was?
    Think I was about 17
    I would run down to the Italian Bakery on a Sat.

All he made was bread.
    I helped him a lot, fixing the 10 foot Peels and his Dough Proof Boxes , etc. ( Brick Ovens )

The crust was about 3/4 inch thick, crispy but tender.

I could tell when I was half way home, because half the loaf was gone.

So I had to go all the way back, for another loaf.

You had to get there early or all the Bread was history.
    Lou

• lindac
    14 years ago

10 foot peel???!!! Really!!??

• hawk307
    14 years ago

LindaC
    Yes, the ovens were really deep. There were different length peels
    It was a brick oven, built in 1943 buy Bricklayers.

It was an Italian neighborhood, with many Masonary Contractors.

If you don't believe. Google " Gentile's bakery, Phila. "
    Lou