SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manisha517

Changing direction, more contemporary?

manisha517
16 years ago

Hello,

In the midst of renovation and finally getting to a point where I can start making design choices rather than construction ones! We got new wood flooring installed, still need baseboard put in, painted the family room (which shares open space with our kitchen) a neutral cream to serve as a backdrop to our medium toned maple kitchen cabinets, Santa Cecilia granite countertops, and camel colored sofas with chocolate pillows. These are elements of the room that cannot be changed. Everything else can! We also need to renovate the fireplace in the FR to an ivory tiled one with a mantle and surround.

After painting the room a cream, it lent itself to more of a loft-like feel so I'm wondering if I should change out the rug (I can still exchange it) to a lighter, more contemporary one like the PB Brynn or Leaf? I'd like to purchase a starburst mirror for over the fireplace. Need new lamps too but not sure of the shape/size I should be shooting for. I'm married, in my early 30's and wondering if the current combination of colors is age appropriate or does it feel dowdy? Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Family room with current rug

Change to PB Leaf rug for sleeker look?

Or, PB Brynn rug for a fun, contemporary look?

Starburst mirror over fireplace

This one?

Or, this one?

This lamp for end tables?

Comments (18)