SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyfiddler

SAHM - automatic babysitter for working nbrs?

amyfiddler
17 years ago

What is it about my working neighbor who appears to assume that since I stay home, that her kid can just hang out at my house all day?

He is welcome,but her attitude isn't.

My other girlfriend who has never been a SAHM also has odd ideas - when she brings her son over to play she just drops him off and doesn't come to the door to say hello, or thanks, or anything. It's just drop and go.

I'd like to make an unwritten rule book for people who don't have a clue.

1. If I have your child at my house for most of the summer, please acknowlege it. Perhaps an occasional reciprocation on a weekend would be nice. You could take my kids out to a movie, for example, so I could take a shower in peace and quiet.

2. When you drop off a child at my home, come to the door. Make sure I, the parent, am there. Chat, exchange pleasantries, and establish an approximate reuniting time. Don't just drop and drive.

3. Since I have a pool, offer at least once to be the parent in charge. I have sat, day after day, minute after minute, by my pool side to ensure the safety of all children. Offer to take at least one shift this summer. At least sit with me, so I can maintain some adult conversation and sanity.

4. If you work full time, please don't ever say this to me again: "I don't know how you stay home. i'd die."

5. Send a few snacks with your child if he's going to be here all day. I make regular costco runs, and my cupboards are open to all - but it would be nice to know that you acknowlege the fact that your child has hunger issues.

6. And hey - thanks for trusting me with your children. I always wanted to have a 'happy days' home with an open door policy, and I'm living the dream. This house will carry years of happy memories because of all the children who have entered my home.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner