SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tobyt_gw

Your best Make-Ahead?

TobyT
12 years ago

After posting a question about whether or not I could make a particular appetizer ahead of time, I was thinking about how I often choose a recipe based on whether or not it can be made ahead. I like to be a relaxed hostess who has time to enjoy her guests. So what is your best recipe for company that doesn't suffer (or even improves)by being made ahead of time?

Here's a fabulous dessert that can easily be made a week ahead. Disclaimer: It does contain uncooked egg in the mousse portion.

Frozen Chocolate Mousse Cake

8 eggs, separated

1/8 tsp cream of tartar

1 cup sugar

2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup raspberry preserves

1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Topping (optional)

1.5 cups fresh or frozen without syrup raspberries

2 tbsp raspberry preserves

Heat oven to 350. Grease 10-inch spring form pan. In large bowl, b eat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add � cup of sugar until stiff peaks form � set aside.

In large bowl, beat egg yolks with � cup of the sugar until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Add melted chocolate and vanilla, blend well. Fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture until well blended. Pour half the mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate remaining mixture.

Bake at 350 15-20 minutes until set and center is no longer concave. Cool (will fall as it cools.)

Gently spread preserves over cake. Fold whipped cream into remaining chocolate mixture and spread over preserves. Cover, freeze several hours until firm.

Shortly (20 min at the most.) before serving, carefully remove sides of pan. Top with fresh raspberries if desired spoon 2 tbsp heated preserves over berries.

Serves 16

Comments (8)