SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajane02

Door dilemma for kitchen/office space.

laurajane02
12 years ago

Hi there,

I'm trying to decide what kind of doors to use for my computer desk area which is adjacent to my kitchen. Here's the floorplan to give you an idea:

We don't want anything obtrusive, so no standard closet doors. Also, this area is open to the great room, so it has to look good.

We're building a post and beam style home, so I wonder if I could use barn doors? I would use 1 big one that would slide in front of the kitchen cabinetry, it that makes sense. That way, when the computer area is "closed", the kitchen is more open.

Another option would be to include the computer area in my kitchen cabinetry and have a custom built-in desk area with pocket doors. However, due to the depth of the computer area, I wonder if this is the best use of space?

Or, just a simple sliding door? The computer desk area would feel less "open" when in use though.

Finally, I considered standard pocket doors that would slide in 1 direction. However, I would need a permanent wall at the edge of the kitchen counter to contain the "pocket".

Anyway, with trying to balance decor style with practicality, what do you think would work best? Personally, my favorite solution is the barn door.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath