SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Weekend 'cooking'

alison
16 years ago

Maybe it's the promise of fall in the air, but I really felt like stocking up on food this weekend.

No pictures, but I thought I'd share what I made.

Used up a big basket of tomatoes falling off my neighbors neglected vines. (His only interest appears to be in growing big plants -- he lets the fruit rot on the vine. MOre for me!) Had a caprese salad with mozzarella for lunch, then made a big pot of sauce with lots of peppers and mushrooms and garlic. Used the last of the Italian sausage and cooked little tiny meatballs, half-cooked some pasta and assembled 6 freezer containers of spaghetti and meatballs.

I also had some chorizo and kale that had to go, so I sauteed that, beat in a ton of eggs, and poured little fritattas in muffin cups and 3/4 baked those. Then popped 20 or so in the freezer for fast breakfasts to nuke and run.

Used the rest of the chorizo and kale in a crockpot soup, with barley and beef broth. No recipe to speak of, and not one of my finest creations -- but filling and pretty tasty. Got another few containers of that for the freezer.

I've been incorporating more "raw" food in my diet (we'll see how much of this I can afford to do in the winter!) so I mixed up some "mock chicken salad" with nuts and veggies. (That's my lunch today, wrapped in romaine leaves.)

And I finally made raw crackers I like, with sprouted wheat and rye, onions and caraway seed.

What did you make this weekend?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida