SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raygunclan

painting new furniture

raygunclan
16 years ago

i really have my heart set on a black sleigh bed. i have been scouring the internet for weeks, even getting advice on the furniture forum of the manufacturers that fit into my criteria.

so today, i am at my neighbor's (who is an interior decorator) furniture and accessory auction. i went to be nice because she is my neighbor, but i really didn't plan on buying anything as i am actively looking for this black sleigh bed. well, wouldn't you know it, a big, beautiful sleigh bed is there. and, wouldn't you know it, it is about 1/8th the price that i was looking at. and wouldn't you know it, it has a deep cherry/mahogany stain on it.

and this is why i am here! (i'm not very good at that whole "long story short" thing!)

from what i've been reading on this forum (and i really have been reading!) my steps are as follows:

*clean with tsp

*sand finish off (no shine) with 220 grit sand paper

*prime

*at least 2 coats of cabinet coat

if i have missed a step or you have a better suggestion, then please help!

IF (and that is a very big IF) i have all of the steps right, here are my questions:

*can i use my little vibrating sander on this furniture (to save time) since i am not really gonna see the wood grain?

*i've read to use zin 123 but is there something better?

*is cabinet coat a sheen or a type of paint?

*what is alkyd paint?

*what is impervo or muralo paint?

*what is waterborne paint?

*is it really worth getting a chinex brush?

*should i put a protective coat top of the paint?

*should i sand in between coats?

thanks so much for the help! i will post before and after pics of my project. i am really nervous as i have never painted furniture before with good results. i hope that i don't end up with a crappy looking $350 sleigh bed!

suzanne

Comment (1)