SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Your opinions on this rug and my plans for the DR

Y'all have been so helpful thus far I thought I'd start making some color decisions and such. Now let me say that my normal "style" would be considered modern country. I like simple lines, no curly cues or crystal chandeliers. The house itself is a Dutch Colonial so I like to complement the house while not being a slave to the exact era or whatever. Currently in my dining room I have hardwood floors in a warm nut brown, not too dark as I found that showed too much in the way of dust and such for my lifestyle. The rug in the dining room is a 9x12 seagrass rug. I love it and may buy another as it is a good neutral to work from.
Having said that I found this rug I fell in love with. Not my usual style at all, but it does have a kind of folk art feeling which may be what appeals to me.

It's hard to tell but there is a blue aspect in the center of some of the flowers. It also has taupe, and a sagey green color. The background is listed as rusty orange.

My plan is to have my built-ins made in a creamy taupe color (I have white cabinetry all over the house and just want something different yet still neutral in the DR). And then paint the walls a taupe like is in the rug. I want to do more orange, ,maybe on the curtains and then some blue accents for fun, lamps on the built-in or something.

This type of rug pattern tends to throw me as I'd normally go with geometrics. I have this pic of a room Sarah Richardson did and I love her choice of wallpaper, I would never think to put this rug with it, but somehow it works. So maybe I'm just over-thinking?

Here's another shot showing the rug. The rug looks like reds and pinks while the wallpaper is definitely orange.

Thoughts?

Comments (17)