SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Am I just the world's worst trim painter? Streaks!!

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

I have some trim (it's down now, as the door was moved and we're just about to put the trim back up) that we're painting that had been stained before. I sanded, filled imperfections and sanded again...then I applied some "prep & prime gripper multipurpose" primer I got at ICI yesterday as I was picking up my EK trim paint. I also have some Zinsser primer at home, but I was trying this one.

Anyway, I just *could not* get the primer to apply without uneven lines from the paintbrush! Used a Purdy 1" -- have a Purdy 2-1/2" and a Corona 2-1/2" as well, but used the smaller one, thinking I'd be able to control it better...I haven't tried a larger one yet--could that be the problem?

So the primer is uneven, thicker in some places than others, and there was also *no way* I could do what I had been told at the BM store (also used Titanium in a different place), to do the whole piece of trim in one swoop and then go back over it lightly the whole way once and leave it. That's 8' of swoop! Can't do it--the paint is gone by about 1/3 of the way. I have no choice but to start again midway through, and usually again toward the end.

What am I doing wrong? When I used a tight foam roller I got little bubbles in the paint sticking up, too. Please help--we have several doors/windows and trim for several rooms to do before we're done...and I'm feeling utterly frustrated. Walls I can do, ceilings, but not trim!

Comments (5)