SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
proserpina_gw

Tough Year at School

proserpina
17 years ago

Hi parents-

I am hoping you have some tips for this one, but our youngest is having a tough time at school.

He is in first grade and it hasn't been easy. Mind you, outside of the classrom, he is a very well adjusted little boy. But the minute it comes to school and subsequently to homework, the histrionics begin.

I volunteer in his classroom, and I know that it's a very divided class (as in, they don't seem to be one "organism"), but that doesn't seem a good enough reason for him to be so miserable. He draws and is very creative, yet, when it comes to drawing or coloring in class, he bursts into tears. And at home, writing sentences is an issue (yesterday, he wrote 11 times, "I hate school" but that was more of a test to see what reaction he got)....

So, my question is... uhm, are:

-I am trying to keep a positive environment outside of school to balance the loneliness he feels in class (his kindergarden buddies ended up both in another class); is there anything else I can do?

-I am all about encouraging, but I don't like to sit and hover while the boys do homework because they are all very capable. I have seen them, and the little one in particular, do their work independently, so I only hold that in mind... Is there something else you suggest I do?

-What tips do you have? Have you ever run into this? I am stumped because the other two boys have always loved school and never had any problems academically, so I have no experience with this....

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living