SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuba_paul

Decorating help! I need to match this floor...

tuba_paul
15 years ago

Hello!

I originally asked this in 'flooring' but due to the overwhelming response thought I'd ask here, as this is a more active forum. I have this floor in the bedrooms:

This is also hiding under the carpet in the living room and dining room, which I'm refinishing as well (too beautiful to hide). The kitchen has parque tile (think old cabin floor--pretty ugly) and the foyer and hallway have cork tile under the carpet.

PROBLEM 1--transition heights: the cork tile and parque floor are even in height with the hardwood, so anything I put in would likely be proud a bit, perhaps 3/8 to 1/2 if I went with a 5/8 engineered hardwood, for instance. Would this hieght difference look tacky? Except for the passage from hallway to living room, all other transitions would be in doorways.

PROBLEM 2--asthetics: Any suggestions to a floor that would complement this? I'm not planning on flipping the house--it was purchased to live in, but I would like something neutral that would make it easier to sell should the need arise. Pics/recommendations/links would be appreciated!

I'm planning on keeping the same floor in the foyer, hallway and kitchen as it's not a large house and I don't want it too busy, though I am open to other suggestions--was thinking a little of ceramic in the foyer, at least, for durability and maintenance, but not sure I'd want to tile everything, as I'd have to put concrete board in so the tiles wouldn't crack, and then I'd have an even higher height difference--unless that's actually the better thing to do.

You'll be able to see the difference in flooring as soon as you walk in the house--as you stand in the foyer, the hallway to the bedrooms is to the right, the kitchen in front of you, and the living room to the left. The living room and dining room are adjacent, and there is another door from the kitchen to the dining room--typical 3 bedroom California ranch, as they call it here in the 'burbs of the Windy City.

Oh, one wall of the foyer (left side) is actually the back of the fireplace, floor to ceiling in this stone:

Thanks so much for your help!

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Original post in flooring forum

Comments (10)