SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need a good trim paint (like Cab Coat) for dark colors

lkplatow
14 years ago

I have been using cabinet coat on all my interior trim and I love it -- the finish is smooth, hard, and not at all tacky, and the adhesion is great. My only complaint is that it cannot be tinted to a dark color. I have some trim/doors that I want to paint black or very dark brown (probably Pratt & Lambert's Obsidian) so the cabinet coat will not work.

I have tried Muralo in a satin/eggshell finish on one of my fireplaces, but I don't find it to be as hard or have as good adhesion (over the same Zinsser 123 primer) as the cabinet coat. I was going to try the Ace Cabinet paint, but then I saw on another thread where it can take several MONTHS to cure and stays tacky til then -- um, no, that's not going to work.

I've also got some semigloss on other trim throughout the house - some MAB, some Duron, and some Ben Moore Satin Impervo (waterbase), all of which I tried before discovering Cabinet Coat. I wasn't really happy with any of those -- they seem to mar easily and stay a bit tacky -- when I sit heavy things on the mantle, for example, it still leaves a mark, even though the paint has been on for years now.

So...what would you suggest for a paint that is most like cabinet coat but able to be tinted very dark? I am in Eastern PA and do not have access to C2, Donald Kaufmann, Farrow and Ball or FPE anywhere that I know of. I CAN get MAB, Duron, the Lowes and HD lines, Sherwin Williams, Ben Moore, Ace, Pratt & Lambert, Muralo, Pittsburgh Paints, and Graham. I would prefer a latex, although I'm going over oil, so oil might be ok as well. But here in PA, oil paint is only available in quarts and won't be available for much longer (supposed to be phased out entirely by 2011 except for specialty applications) so I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and switch to latex now.

FYI if it helps -- this paint is mainly for window sashes and doors, possibly some baseboard as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Comment (1)