Decoupage Refrigerator?

MeiMei

Has anyone decoupaged the side of a refrigerator? I have a puppet stage with puppets on the top of my refrigerator. I also have some very old playbills, tissue-paper thin, that i would like to decoupage with a few other paper items on the side of the refrigerator. Has anyone tried this? Or any variation of it? Any tips? All or any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Mary

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FlamingO in AR

I decoupaged an entire small refrigerator, Mary. One of the larger, white units that kids would take to their dorm, you know? I used scrapbooking paper and ModPodge and it worked great. It held up really well, too, it never tried to peel up or anything and I know it was permanently on there, you couldn't chisel it off. I ended up painting over it a couple of years later, because I redid the craft room where it lived, but for a while it looked really cool and funky done up in red hibiscus flowers. After I got all the paper on, I went over it with 2 more coats of ModPodge. Then I painted the white trim black and varnished that so it would shine.

One tip for going around corners, I scored the folds on my paper cutter so it would wrap more easily. Also, I should have torn the edges so there wouldn't be any straight lines showing where the papers overlapped.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides More Is More: The 10 Tenets of Maximalist Style
Ready to join the school of over-the-top design? Learn how to embrace excess in your interiors
Full Story
Kitchen Design The Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
Call for DIY Projects: Show Us What You've Got!
Share a Pic of Your Handiwork with the Houzz Community
Full Story