Paper purses on today's Carol Duvall

minnie_tx

Really nice ones using thin metal copper I haven't checked the webpage yet it's sure to be on there.

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ArtsyCraftsy

Sorry I missed this project- It is very cool! Here's a link to the instructions & pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal foil purse

Save    
akaLia

I really liked it, too. I didn't realize you could get those color changes in the copper by using a heat tool.

Save    
minnie_tx

I may be getting my programs mixed up but I think on this one the artist used a mallot, to which she had previously added globs of hot glue and let it dry, to pound the copper to give the piece added dimension.

Save    
akaLia

Yes, that's the one. I liked the non-textured ones as much as the textured, though. And I was wondering if there's not some other way to get that look without globbing up a mallet. I hate to get my hot glue gun out!

I've always wanted to make a cigar-box purse and I think the copper would look great on one of those. In fact, I've been thinking of changing the back-splash in my kitchen and using copper or tin somehow...

BTW, looking at the website for that project... they mention Memories permanent ink. Is that the kind Walmart sells?

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

so was this the same project? It aired on May 17th. I wish I could have seen it. Lia you can also bake your copper in the oven like cookies- good for doing lots of ornaments or embellishments at once.

Save    
herbabuena

can i ask a stupid question?

how are they "paper" purses if they're made from copper?

Here is a link that might be useful: finger lakes paperfolders (FLaP)

Save    
akaLia

I remember thinking the same thing when I saw the purses done on tv. I would think if you're going to actually use (wear) one of these, it would be better to attach the copper to something more sturdy than paper (cardstock).
Which reminds me, did anyone see the mica-shift PC purses on Carol today?

herbabuena, thanks for the link; looks like useful stuff!

Save    
herbabuena

oh! I get it, the metal is a nice exterior layer. I guess if I'd just followed the link, I would have seen that. (doh)

I once saw some other interesting folded-type (but fabric) purses here: (see link below)

Some of them don't even look that hard to make...

Here is a link that might be useful: Yakpak

Save    
herbabuena

Oh yeah, and I got the patterns for some of these at a conference I went to, once. You could put small things in them, and they look really cool. I haven't tried downloading the things from his site, but I imagine they're similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: polypouches

Save    
ArtsyCraftsy

You could try a Yakpak-inspired pouch with Tyvek and colored duct tape. Those poly pouches are such wonderful shapes.

Save    
AliceB

Does anyone have a paper purse diagram? The link to the show no longer works.

Thanks.

Save    
Tiger_SunnyFla

Alice, I think this is the one...Metal Purse href>
Tiger

Save    
Lia_SC

I'm pretty sure you can find a purse template on www.bydonovan.com and also on www.victorineoriginals.com

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World See the Home Where Charles Dickens Wrote Some of His Classic Stories
On December 17, 1843, ‘A Christmas Carol’ was published, and we’re celebrating with a tour of the famed author’s home
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
Decorating Guides How to Savor Your Beautifully Imperfect Home
Hardly anyone escapes home design envy. These strategies can help you appreciate your home for all it offers you right now
Full Story
For more than twenty years, Steadfast Construction has been setting the standard for excellence as a custom... Read More
Ark Woodworking builds European cabinetry for any room in the house. Kitchens, libraries, mudrooms, and bars to... Read More