SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

New screen porch: I'd like your ideas on finishing

violetwest
10 years ago

So, my screen porch is almost finished. Still a little bit of the interior finishing needed, including the electrical work and the door into my bedroom. I'm curious to know what details you'd add at this point (while I've still got my workers on the hook).

It's meant to be pretty rustic, and I'll be using this as a multi-purpose space to include: catio, sleeping porch, screened porch against mosquitos in the summer.

--I want a sleeping place, in case it's 110 and the power goes out in the summer. so, futon, daybed, or hammock? (I'm leaning toward futon)

--for the cats, I'll be adding shelves (I'm going to ask them to cut some of the scrap wood into shelf lengths); cat grass; other cat furniture. a nice branch if I can find it, some cat grass, cat box, too

--lighting/electrical: I'll have a ceiling fan, but opted not to put an overhead light because I loathe them, but may rethink that. Thinking about putting rope light around the perimeter of the ceiling? Will have one outdoor outlet installed. I mostly sit out there in the evening, and don't like a lot of light.

--Immediate shading for privacy (roller shade/curtain) will be needed on the end where my neighbor's yard/light is right there. Biggest enemy is wind and dust. I'll have to consider the flow of water around the outside carefully too. Comments appreciated.

Comments (14)