SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

Can you offer opinions on best, no odor, no VOC, or 'green' paint

mamabirrd
15 years ago

Hello!

I've been around GW for a long time but this is the first time posting to the Paint Forum.

We are in our third year of building our new home totally DIY. It's almost time to hang drywall so i'm trying to plan ahead and find the safest paint I can find for my family. I've done some searches but can't really find one brand in particular that everyone would recommend.

Aside from my DH and I, we have a child that is under two years old as well as 3 parrots. We would like to paint with something that will not be harmful to our son but will also be kid-tough. And for those of you that don't know, parrots (or any pet bird) are extremely sensitive and you have to be careful about fumes. Having our new home odor-free on moving day is extremely important.

I have found Mystic paint, but it doesn't seem readily available here in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I've read about SW Harmony, but it didn't get the best reviews and many have talked about dripping problems.

This paint looks awesome: www.milkpaint.com - but, it looks as though it could get pretty expensive to paint the entire house.

I'm also wondering about primers. I saw the SW Harmony line has one but i'm guessing it has an odor. ???

So basically we need something odor-free and would prefer no voc. I'm trying to go as "green" as possible in our new home and would appreciate any help and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

~Dawn

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022