Eyelets?

Jennifer123

Hello everyone! I have read a few posts about people using eyelets for a few different things, and I was just looking for a little information. I went to walmart and Joann's looking for them (didn't even know what they were!). Then I went to Michaels and they had a ton of them in every color you could possibly need. Now the questions: How do you apply them, and what do you use them for? Do you use them in making cards? Thanks for any information.

~Jennifer

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ArtsyCraftsy

I like to use them on cards as an embellishment or to fasten two layers of paper together (like if you had 2 punched flowers and wanted to use an eyelet in the middle as your flower center and layer the flowers together). They are also nice if you want to hang something heavier like beads & charms from a card, the eyelet will keep your paper from tearing.
You need a small 1/8 hole punch to punch your holes in the card & you need an eyelet setting tool which is kinda like a fat nail. Then you just slip the eyelet thru your punched hole, turn your project over and lay it on a firm surface. I use a ceramic tile with a piece of t-shirt material laid over it to keep the eyelet from getting the paint scratched off. Then put the tip of your setter in the hole on the back of the eyelet and give it 2 or 3 firm wacks with a hammer. This will flatten the back out. That's it- easy peasy! There are more expensive types of setters that work like a stapler but they are not really necessary.

Save    
Lia_SC

I rec'd a neat picture frame in a paper clay swap. It was stamped and painted so it almost looked like leather. It had eyelets so it looked riveted. Wish I could show you, but it must have been sealed with something that made it turn soft and it broke. :-( I really liked the eyelets with it, though...

Save    
Jennifer123

Well, thanks for the info. I went out again and found some at another craft store. The whole punch and the eyelet setter tool came together and the packs of eyelets had 25 pieces. So it didn't cost much $. So I have been playing around with them a little, I'm glad I decided to check them out! Thanks again.

~Jennifer

Save    
Lia_SC

I was thumbing through a PaperKuts magazine and saw another neat eyelet idea... They made pockets of blue vellum to look like denim jeans. Eyelets in the corner looked like rivets and they must have used a white or light colored pen to draw the "stitches". They tucked in a heart or some kind of insert. Very cute.

Also, you can use eyelets to make jointed dolls or other moving components in cards. They may not move as easily as paper fasteners.

Now I'm curious about the brads like they have at Michaels --the different colored ones... How do they attach?

Save    
Jennifer123

OK. Now, what are brads?! LOL!

~Jennifer

Save    
Jennifer123

Hi, I just found this web site and thought I would share it. I am going to go back and finish looking at everything!!

~Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Eyelets

Save    
minnie_tx

I found this on a stampin' up message board regarding eyelets
It was under the caption
NO MORE POUNDING
passing the info along
You can punch the holes for the eyelets with the 1/8" hole punch as many of you may already know. But then.......you can use the 1/16" hole punch to close the eyelet (spread it.) The hole punch needs to be "punch-up" and the eyelet goes in upside down so that the punch goes in the cylinder. When you squeeze the punch, this will flatten the eyelet. NO More Hammers!!!!!!!!!!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides So Your Style Is: Romantic
Sweet but not saccharine, romantic design style celebrates the idealistic side of life. Find out if it's the look that makes you swoon
Full Story
Bedrooms The Lowdown on Bed Skirts
Sure, they hide the dust bunnies. But when you know all the options, bed skirts can rack up major style points too
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Bathe in the Light of Clerestory Windows
Put some windows high for more light, air — and privacy, too
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
For over 20 years, we have been providing standard and custom craftsmanship in the design, fabrication and... Read More