SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

BM Sat Impervo (alkyd) on cabinets...Spray OK?

16 years ago

Can this product be sprayed on successfully, rather than brushed? These are new, bare paint-grade cabinets and cabinet doors, and we want a nice, even, smooth finish...Which I didn't necessarily get on my first try at brushing an end panel (China bristle brush). DH is a shop teacher and woodworker and is used to spraying lacquer, so feels spraying might get a better result, but isn't familiar with this paint.

A colleague of DH's suggested using a lacquer paint (I think I'm quoting this right?) instead for easier spraying and faster drying, but I want something that will last without chipping, and is not too shiny. The lacquer paint idea sounds like I might get both high gloss and possible chipping, but I really don't know anything about it. I'd like drying time to not be an issue, but the space is hard to come by, especially lint/dust-free space. We can deal with the longer drying time, though, if it's our best bet.

Any hints and suggestions about doing this project will be GREATLY appreciated. Most of the cabinets will be a deep burgundy, so the lines of cabinet paint that only come in pastels are out.

Thanks.

Comments (9)