SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladydub_gw

Need advice using Insl-x Cabinet Coat and grain filler

ladydub
12 years ago

I'm in the process of painting a really nice oak dresser with Cabinet Coat and it's not quite turning out how I had hoped.

Most of the dresser is fairly smooth since it had a good lacquer/urethane glaze on it but the grain on the front and sides is more "open" - very open in some spots.

I did a ton of research and after consulting with my BM guy and online, I decided to prime with STIX and use Cabinet Coat for the paint. I'm primarily using a Wooster Chinex brush and microfiber roller.

I knew going into this that if I didn't fill the grain, it would show. But because this is already a "new" project, I didn't want to turn it into a part time job by adding the grain filling step. I initially decided I was OK with a subtle grain, which I would "fill" a bit by putting a few extra coats on.

At this point, I've done 3 coats of primer (very thin) and two coats of CC (very thin) and I feel like I'm getting nowhere! I started off with a really good sanding (didn't strip though) and I've done a liberal sand with 220 between each coat. The tops and drawers look OK (some grain showing), but the sides and front of the dresser still have gaping holes! OK, I'm being slightly melodramatic, but it's not a subtle grain that I thought I would get.

I'm very impressed with CC and the leveling (no brush strokes!) but thought it would be a little more "filling" according to the reviews I read.

At this point, I still don't mind a little grain showing, but would really like to fill in some of the larger holes. Can I still fill the open grain on the spots where it needs it even though there's already paint on it? What should I use to do that?

Could I use something like this:

Behlen Water Based Grain Filler

http://www.woodcraft.com/catalog/pro...px?prodid=8466

or this,

Crystalac

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/CPF-2530/CrystaLac-Wood-Grain-Filler

over the paint, then prime and paint over that?

I would *think* that I would need a grain filler that brushes on.

Looking forward to any advice you have. Thanks!

Comments (7)