SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

slate floor

Saypoint zone 6 CT
12 years ago

I've read some older threads about the pros and cons of slate flooring as well as the aesthetic considerations of floors in old houses. My 1837 post and beam brick-sided Georgian style home has "random" patterned dark gray slate in the kitchen, laundry, pantry, powder room and adjacent hallway over plywood and fir flooring original to the addition built in 1840 or thereabouts, as well as an interior hallway and foyer. About 500 s.f. just in the kitchen and adjacent areas.

I do find it difficult to keep clean. It's been sealed a number of times, but I have dogs, and any spills or accidents seems to remove the sealer and leave the area dull and mottled looking. Also, repeated washing seems to remove the slight sheen of the sealer, which is more of a surface sealer rather than a penetrating sealer. It always looks dirty, and every speck of dust or lint shows on the dark tiles. The grout, a light gray, also gets really dirty in the high traffic areas.

The PO who installed it told me that the original wood floor, probably fir installed in the mid 1800s along with the rest of the house, was in bad shape. I can see the bottom of the boards by sticking my head into the crawl space under the kitchen wing. The rest of the house has fir installed over the original wide board floors.

While the slate is fairly indestructible, I find the maintenance a pain. I have to scrub the grout with oxyclean and a stiff brush to get it clean, and the floor looks clean for about a day after mopping it.

If anyone has any suggestions on making it easier to maintain, or products to darken the grout to show less dirt, I'd appreciate it.

I've been thinking about pulling up the slate and plywood to see what kind of shape the fir floor is in, and either repairing it or flooring over it with another wood floor. This will be a costly project, and I could be opening a can of worms. Plus the cabinets installed about 12 years ago by a PO are on top of the slate, which means we'd have to cut the plywood around the cabinets and the floor level will drop about an inch. Maybe I should leave well enough alone. I'd also like the slate better if it was rectangular tiles instead of the random pattern, which I think really dates it.

Here it is in the middle of repainting the walls.

{{!gwi}}

And shortly after scrubbing the grout on my hands and knees.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)