SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

To get ORB finish on iron railing Must I remove white paint first

raehelen
16 years ago

OK,

Back to the painting forum. I've learned so much here re painting drywall, that DH has just handed over the reins, few words of praise, but I KNOW he's impressed!

So, I just finished putting an ORB finish on the hinges/pins and screws of the pantry door- I'm probably going to buy a new handle, so don't need to re-install the old one. Now, I'd like to move on and put the same ORB finish on my painted iron railing that goes up the front entry stairs. We will eventually be replacing this rail with NEW wrought iron rails, but as we PLAN to add an addition/new front entry, I will wait until then cuz we may be reconfiguring the stairs.

BUT, with new Tigerwood floors, all newly painted walls, and granite topping the pony wall in the front entry, my old chipped white painted railing looks pretty sad.

My question is: Will I get an acceptable finish going over the painted surface, or should I use paint remover (as I did on the hinges)and start with the bare iron. I think I spray painted this 11 years ago- can't remember if I hand-painted it or not- but I'm assuming it's Oil paint of some kind.

For the hinges, I used brown metallic auto spray paint for the base of the ORB, then dabbed on acrylic latex paint in black with a fine haired fan brush, then very lightly sprayed a hint of copper metallic, then sprayed semi-gloss varathane. If I spray over the white paint, should I rub it with steel wool first? Guess I'm obviously trying to avoid the pain-staking work of removing the paint if possible.

Comments (3)