SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sadie_2007

Fixing a not-so-great paint job

sadie_2007
17 years ago

Husband and I bought our first house & made a bad mistake. House has a lot of issues and big problems. Anyway, in a fit the other night, my husband emptied out the kiddo's room and started painting. I think he wanted to make something pretty and get us out of our house funk.

The color actually looks great, but this was his first paint job, not terribly well planned. He didn't do much wall prep, not sure how well he rinsed off the TSP, only primed where the previous owner had painted on some "art." He didn't do the trim or ceiling. There are spots on the wall where it looks like the roller ran out of paint.

I'm thinking, well, the kiddo is moved into the playroom/study/guest room, and I've got 3 days with no work, why not do this right? But I've never painted before either.

Should I approach this as if we're starting over completely & treat that initial coat basically as a primer? He painted it yesterday. If so, does the following make sense?

1. Fix up the wall dings, nail holes, etc. Sand where needed. Prime just the repairs.

2. Clean ceiling. Do I have to prime it before painting it? I plan just to do a flat white matched to the trim, pretty much what's there now, but Low VOC.

3. Clean and fix up/sand molding. Paint after ceiling is complete. I don't think I have to prime this b/c the sanding should make it pretty toothy.

4. Repaint walls, 1-2 coats.

Also, if anyone could tell me the best way to color match the white trim, I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to match the color b/c there are indoor painted shutters over the windows, and they look fine -- no need to repaint. I'd like the rest to match. But I can't get the shutters off thanks to the previous paint job.

I know this is horridly long. Thanks for any help. I'm a complete newbie at all house issues.

Sadie

Comments (3)