SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Memo to participants/considerers of 401(k) investments

joyfulguy
16 years ago

Greetings investors,

All that I know about the 401(k) system, you could stick into your eye! As a Canadian I know next to nothing of them, but have gained the impression that mutual funds are related to them.

I have found some information that claims to relate to them which I think may interest some of you who use them or may be interested.

The source is a financial advisory service that I prefer not to identify here but will tell you privately if you ask. They are solely an advisory service and do not manage funds or other financial instruments.

Their message assumes a contribution of $100.00 per month, $1,200.00 per year.

They assume also a rate of return of 10.4% on the ongoing investment, which they claim to be, " ... the market's average over the long haul".

Then they assume that one investment which the owner chooses is operated by a management company which charges an annual management fee of 2% of (I assume) the central account, allocated according to the proportion of that account owned by each of the investors ... so does not show on their annual account report, but does appear on the prospectus outlining the operating system of that fund - their Management Expense Rate (MER).

Their calculation is that, after 40 years of such an investment and management program, the value of the fund would be $349,000.

However, they say, if the not-so-average investor, wanting to learn more about the way that his/her investment works, could make use of a manager whose annual management fee was only 0.4%, and assuming that the growth rate could be as they assumed earlier, the average rate of growth of the market as a whole, that $1,200.00 annual investment for 40 years would have grown, after 40 years, to $632,000.

That is an increase of $283,000.00, a substantial increase.

There are some assumptions here which might not work out in fact - they are for purposes of comparison in this instance.

I offer this information for your consideration, but do not recommend it (or not, either).

As I have said in these forums recently, the rate of annual management fee charged by management companies of mutual funds has a substantial result in terms of their ongoing performance results.

The longer the term - the larger that variation on the final result becomes.

In this case, a potential increase of $283,000. (or any comparable amount) is pretty good potential pay for learning how to manage one aspect of one's asset more effectively!

Some ideas that you may find interesting.

ole joyful

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville