SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfrizzle_gw

Deciding On Insulation In Staged Remodel

cfrizzle
10 years ago

Long time reader, first time poster, here. :)

I'm hoping you all can help me figure out how/when to insulate the exterior walls as we complete a remodel of an old house.

We are halfway through a major remodel of a 1917 Foursquare in Indianapolis, Indiana. We have gutted the kitchen and upstairs bath and we're adding an additional bathroom upstairs. The house currently has very old/dusty blown-in insulation that has compressed into the bottom half of the walls.

We're getting ready to put up drywall in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out what to do for insulation of the exterior walls in the kitchen and upstairs bathrooms.

My HVAC guy suggested that we use sprayfoam on the exterior walls that we have opened up, then lay in fiberglass on top of that. Next summer, we plan to re-side the house. At that point we will have the opportunity to do more blow-in/spray foam type of insulation and house wrap.

I have a few questions.
1. Is it worth it to go ahead and insulate what we can in the rooms that are currently being remodeled, if we are going to add insulation to the whole house next year? In other words, will it complicate matters to have to know which walls already have insulation when the guys come in with their spray foam truck?

2. Will we have to have the existing old blow-in insulation sucked out of the walls before blowing in new insulation?

3. Is it necessary to house wrap if we do new blow-in insulation or vice versa?

FYI. As far as energy efficiency goes, the house still has all of it's original wood windows with storm windows. We will be updating these 2-3 at a time over the next few years.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (17)