SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_home_lover

Wood Burning Furnace with Radiators?

old_home_lover
11 years ago

I have posted two pics of what I sincerely hope to be furnaces in the basement of the 1875 home we are going to restore. The Executors selling the place said it has oil heat and there is a tank in the basement but also these two things. Thing is, one full wall of the basement is packed about three feet deep, wall to wall, and ceiling to floor with small pieces of wood. About six inches long and a couple inches thick. These seem useless as firewood for the fireplace upstairs and it would be serious overkill to have that much kindling especially since there's no wood pile of logs. So my questions are:

Could they be for one of these furnaces?

If so, would a furnace like that be used in conjunction with the hot water radiators throughout the house?

If so would it be okay to put that system back 'online' so to speak as a temporary measure to heat the place? We need to run new electrical and I am concerned about plugging in heaters until that's completed but would love to be able to have a plumber get the radiators running again first. After sitting empty for the better part of fifty years it is so damp and cold! We live several hours away and getting heat functional is a high priority since we could stay there overnights when we traveled to work on other things.

Finally, if we are going to use the wood furnace, who do we call to look at it? A chimney sweep? A plumber? Does anyone even deal with that anymore?

Comments (12)