SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mscraftsman

Pink bathroom--what to do

MsCraftsman
9 years ago

As the photo shows somewhat, I have a pink bathroom dilemma. I'd bet this is original from my 1936 house, as many things are. The salmon pinkish wall tile is mostly in good condition, although there are a few cracks and blemishes. The original owner had a liner tile with a much more pinkish-nearly lavender flower on black. So already this clashes, to my more modern sensibilities.

Then the floor has tiny tiles, all of them of the salmon pink to sand-colored to outright orange. At the edges some of these are coming loose, and a few small tiles are even missing around the edges. Also there is a long crack across tiles, so floor underneath could be damaged, although it doesn't feel spongy.

I'm afraid some or all of this won't be appealing enough to a buyer when I decide to sell. The rest of the house has some very good-looking vintage built-in bookcases, hardwood floors, great wood doors, even a wood kitchen counter. I've left all of this intact. But the bathroom (the only one on the main floor, and the de facto master bath for me at least) is getting to me.

If I were to replace just the floor, what about a white marble, or porcelain to imitate white marble? Or will the wall tile still kill a deal even if I replace the floor?

Comments (19)