SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimayo_gw

True Divided Opinions about True Divided Light

Chimayo
18 years ago

The Situation

1) old traditional adobe house in NM with 14 windows that ain't working too well

2) windows are all wood (int. and ext.), single pane, double hung. Each sash contains only one vertical mullion - so two lights per sash.

3) we considering all wood replacement sashes with dual pane, low-e glass and would like to stay as true as possible to look and feel of original windows.

The Dilemma

1) architect (accomplished, reasoned, tasteful, and definitely not pushy) insists we will do ourselves and the house an injustice if we don't stick with True Divided Light on the replacements. He realizes the dual panes will require a 1.5" mullion in order to hide the spacer bar in between. He says it won't matter, seeing as how there is only one vertical mullion per sash and the windows are fairly large. In his opinion, Simluated Divided Light would make an undesireable aesthetic difference in the way light is diffused through this particular house.

2) Window dealer says architect is coo-coo. That we would never be able to tell the difference, and that the expense ain't worth it. (Besides, his company doesn't make dual panes with TDL, though I have found others who do.)

The Questions:

1) Can anyone describe for me the subtleties we're talking about? What are the aesthetic characteristics of TDL vs SDL?

2) Does anyone own TDL windows with dual panes? Are there risks involved with the durability and integrity of such windows?

3) Will I notice a big difference in the color and quality of light coming through once we switch to low-e glass (as opposed to single pane clear)?

4) Is there a bigger nightmare than remodeling a house? Geez.

Comments (7)