SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellasmom06

I have a question about dividing

bellasmom06
15 years ago

Hi there...

I divided some clumps about three years ago. I wanted more clumps. Most were plants about 12 inches tall with leaves sword shaped, about 5 inches long and 2-3 inches wide. I dug the whole 2 foot wide clump out, and then divided it, dirt and all with a couple shovels, and it was a tough job. I made about 3-4 new clumps out of each. I did this in the spring when the new leaves were about 3 inches tall, and not unfurled. I never washed the roots off, just replanted. I thought that i planted all at the same depth. As time went by several of these divisions didn't look very vigirous. Even now, several have never come back to the original size. The leaves look like those of a miniature plant. Some of these are clumps I put back in the hole I started with, with more soil, to bring the soil/plant depth back to the beginning. Same shape, only half the size. I have seen this in some other Hosta too. SO...my question is what happened/ Why have the plants not come back to their true size after I divided them?

Did I damage the roots? I know I had to cut them when I divided the plant...did I do too much damage? Please give me your opinion. I have been gardening for many years, so I have seen a lot, but not this.

THANKS!!!!!

Kathy

Comments (5)