SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happymary45

what would be the dealbreaker of a fixer-upper?

happymary45
15 years ago

I have always wanted to live in an older home. A home with wide molding, high ceilings, quirky rooms, preferably two story.

I'm in a position now to pursue my dream of an old house, if I'm willing to buy a pretty run down fixer upper. My question is this: what would be the things that you all would NOT consider dealing with in a fixer upper? would it be a rotten foundation? Bad windows? My criteria is that the PO didn't totally replace all the great old character with new crap that cannot be reversed. I know much of this depends on how much money would be available to rehab, and that is a consideration.The house I have my eye on is two story, needs paint, exterior wood repair, a roof, and window work DESPERATELY. The foundation seems solid, but of course this needs to be confirmed. I'm not super worried about the interior because it needs a scrub but they didn't get rid of the molding or floors. It needs a kitchen, but because it's so small, I don't think that would be a big deal and it has the original upper cabinets.

So, what would be the factor that would keep all y'all from buying an old house and what would you NOT put up with moving into the house until it was fixed? Is there something I should know about that would be dangerous? and not lived with? I'm clumsy with words here, so I hope you all get my drift.

Comments (27)