SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shmeal_gw

May Compromise - Laminate Counter Questions

shmeal
12 years ago

DH and I are getting closer to our build. We have the design finalized and are beginning our selection process this week. He has fallen in love with a couple of features that will elevate the look and, of course, the cost of our build. These are things that would be difficult to add in down the road (whole house audio/video wiring, a four panel sliding patio door, radiant heat in the basement). We both feel that it is important to put money into the guts of the house and try to find a balance in form vs. function.

At a planning meeting with the builder I mentioned that I would be willing to consider putting in laminate countertops if it meant being able to put the money into the guts of the house. DH AND the builder jumped all over that suggestion! My last house had laminate countertops and I took care of them so they still looked okay after 12 years. I know I could live with them if that is the decision we go with. I won't be thrilled, but counters ARE relatively easy to upgrade down the road.

I've always been the kind of person who says things should look like what they are. Given that I was just going to pick a nice laminate that would work with the overall feel we are trying to achieve in our home. Our builder wants us to use the new laminate that "Looks Just Like Stone!". Umm, no...it doesn't. It looks good and the colors are nice, but it doesn't have the depth and the life and the feel of stone, and I would know it it was pretending. But if I do go with that option then I could recreate the look I was shooting for with marble/quartzite on the island and a honed darker granite on the perimeter (was also considering quartz or soapstone).

Help. I need people who understand this thought process to give me your opinion. I even went back and reread the DAT Laminate thread to see if that helped me move one direction or another. I'm pretty much split right down the middle on this decision.

Option 1 - find something that works well, that doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't

Option 2 - recreate my final look as closely as possible given the color options available

Comments (24)