SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ks_toolgirl

What is this 'dust'? On me, in sinus, lungs?

ks_toolgirl
13 years ago

Hi, all. I've "lurked" but not posted for a while. I guess many of you would understand - with my old house, suddenly I discovered many hidden problems, all at once, & all major! (When it's BAD stuff, I shut down & let my mind mull things over for a while...) I'll leave most of it for another post, & golly there's a LOT! However...

Tonight I've been upstairs trying to clean out the void between the knee-wall and roof. (My 2 "man-cubs" are away @ grandmas, I've delayed this until they were out of the house). "The Mr" found a roof leak & TERMITES there several years ago. (No "DH" right now, I'm too grouchy for the "dear" bit! Lol). He "fixed" the leak back then, & applied a generous dose of... Um... "Very effective termite killing stuff". (We'll leave it at that, shall we? Lol).

The point - I'll skip the "why I have to tackle this NOW!!" part, as this is too long already - is this:

There's such a thick layer of very fine "dust" in there, on & under old insulation. I'm covered with it, inside AND out! Came upon this situation before when hubby cut part of upstairs ceiling out for "whole house fan" install. A downdraft hit just then & sucked this weird powder down the stairs & sprinkled it over everything to the front door. Grr! (Had an upside, btw!).

So, what IS this stuff? I haven't found any info - except some Australian sites - is it just "dust"? Perhaps disintegrated plaster?

I'm coughing up (a tiny bit of) the dark stuff, (sorry - I know that's icky to hear!), not to mention my nose, & sinuses!! (Sorry - more yuck..). Any advice? My boys are supposed to come home in the morning, but other grandma (my mom) has offered to keep them for me for the day.

So... What IS it? Why doesn't anyone talk about it? Am I the only one that has this? Is it hazardous to my boys?

Thanks - sorry so lengthy. :-)

Comments (29)