SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Should I get this china cabinet?

KevinMP
10 years ago

It's been a while, but I'm back to pester you all.

So Stenella has a great Stickley china cabinet in the same finish as my Stickley table and with a Greek key design. These are hard to come by, let alone in this condition and price and in this particular design (four drawers instead of all doors and the Greek Key moulding). I'm inclined to snatch it up because I've been looking for one to go with the table, but the house we're in is a little tight. I don't want to be too shortsighted here, but I also don't want to regret larding up the house for the next 2-3 years we'll be here. The interesting thing (to me anyhow) is that the room feels larger, in some respects with the upholstered arm chairs around the table (see below) and pulled away from the "corners" of the room, and there'd still be 30" of walkway between the side chairs and the china cabinet when the chairs are all pushed in. It also maintains symmetry in the room and with the fireplace and chandelier. Do you think it's a good idea? Too tight or just right? Is it weird to have the two mahogany Chippendale style pieces along the same long wall?

Here's the china cabinet:

Here's sort of what the dining room looks like now (older pictures with the much maligned coat rack removed and replaced with a small oil painting):

Here's what it looks like with one of the two leaves in and all six chairs around the table with the dropleaf table pulled out from the wall as far as the center stack of the china cabinet will intrude into the room. Ignore the junk by the door; it's waiting for trash day (still).

Comments (75)