SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Tumeric recipes for Lowspark

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

Sorry I didn't respond sooner LS, but I have been busy getting ready for a trip/job interview and now am on the road. I know you asked about tumeric recipes and I have been collecting quite a lot of them since I like tumeric and also it is good for you. But a lot of mine are pretty hard core vegetarian things. Like for example I use it in "eggless egg salad" made from tofu. Lots of veggie curries.

I'll try to post more when I get back, and anyone else is free to post some recipes for Lowspark. Below is a link to my original tumeric recipe request post. Also two recipes that I had bookmarked on my computer. I made the chicken last night and it was yum--not too spicy either. I just made it on the stovetop and then baked for 45 min. in the oven in my braising pan, not in a clay pot/tagine as is recommended. Would probably be good in a crockpot too, but don't add peas until the very end or they'll way overcook. I added frozen peas as it came out of the oven and by the time it was cool enough to eat they were heated through.

Moroccan Chicken and Peas Recipe from Christine Benlafquih at "About.com" on the Web

Slow-cooking in a tagine is a fabulous way to prepare authentic Moroccan dishes, many of which combine meat and vegetables to make complete one-dish meals.

Because vegetables are key players in this dish, the recipe calls for only half a chicken. Scooping up the tagine with crusty bread helps stretch the meal even farther.

I double this recipe, preparing it in two separate tagines, when feeding my family of eight. If you're planning to eat with forks instead of Moroccan style, you might want to double the recipe as well.

Serves 4.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 chicken (or 4 pieces of chicken), skin removed

1/2 lb. (about 250 g) fresh or frozen peas

1 lb. (about 1/2 kg) firm potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick slices

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon turmeric (or 1/8 teaspoon Moroccan yellow colorant)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

pinch of saffron threads, crumbled (optional)

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup olive oil

additional salt and pepper

Preparation:

In a bowl, mix the chicken with onions, garlic, herbs, and spices. Be sure the seasoning is distributed evenly.

Coat the base of a tagine with a little of the olive oil. Distribute the onions across the bottom, then the peas. Place the chicken (flesh-side down) in the center.

Swirl the 1/2 cup of water in the bowl used for the chicken to "rinse" the spices from the side of the bowl, and add the water to the tagine.

Arrange the potatoes slices around the chicken and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Add the broth, and drizzle the remaining olive oil over the chicken and vegetables.

Close the tagine and place over medium-low heat. (A diffuser is recommended.) Stay patient while the tagine reaches a simmer -- it could take some time. Resist the temptation to turn up the heat unless the tagine is not simmering after 20 minutes, and even so, increase the heat only very moderately.

Once you hear the tagine simmering, leave the tagine to cook undisturbed (don't peak!) for about 1 hour 15 minutes.

After that time, open the tagine and turn over the chicken. Taste the broth, and add salt and pepper if desired. Add a little more water if you feel the vegetables have absorbed too much of the cooking liquid.

Continue cooking the tagine, covered, for another 30 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are very tender.

Serve the dish right from the tagine, with crusty Moroccan bread for scooping up the chicken, vegetables and sauce.

Aaloo Mutter (Indian Potatoes with Peas)

from Petrina Verma Sarkar at "About.com"

This is a spicy dish so omit any spices you don't like and cut out or reduce the chilis to make it less hot. Or sub less hot chilis, just green peppers. I think lemon juice could sub for the mango powder, but I bought mango powder because I'm trying to get more into cooking Indian food.

If you're in a rush but want something tasty and wholesome to eat, this is the dish for you. You can cook it quickly in a pan and even quicker in a pressure cooker. Either way the steps to follow are the same. Aaloo mutter is a great brunch, lunch or dinner dish and is perfect with freshly made puris, a fried Indian bread.

Ingredients:

2 tbsps vegetable/sunflower/canola oil

1 tsp cumin seeds

2 green chillies slit

1 large onion diced

1 tsp ginger paste

1 tsp garlic paste

2 large tomatoes diced

2 tsps coriander powder

1 tsp cumin powder

1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp red chilli powder

1 tsp dry mango powder

5-6 large potatoes peeled cut into 8-10 pieces each

1 cup shelled peas (you can use frozen peas as well)

1 tsp garam masala

Salt to taste

2 tbsps of finely chopped coriander to garnish

Preparation:

In a wok/pressure cooker heat the oil and add the cumin seeds to it when hot. They will sizzle and soon turn slightly darker.

Add the green chillies and when they stop sluttering add the onions.

Sauté the onions till they turn soft. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and sauté for another minute.

Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric, red chilli and raw mango powders and sauté for a minute.

Last of all add the potatoes and peas and half a cup of water. Add salt to taste.

Cover the pan and cook till the potatoes are soft.

When the potatoes are cooked, turn off the fire, sprinkle the garam masala over the dish and cover immediately.

In a few minutes open, garnish with the finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.

If you are using a pressure cooker, time the cooking such that the potatoes do not get mashed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Incorporating more tumeric

Comments (2)