SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

Lowspark....Annatto

eileenlaunonen
14 years ago

Basically you take the seeds not ground you warm your olive oil and add 1-2 tablespoons in the oil when it starts to sizzle and the oil starts to turn a orange color your done. Do not burn or it will be ruined. Drain the oil removing the seeds and store in a seal tight container. I use it to infuse flavor & color on rice meats and soups mainly in mexican spanish and cuban foods that I make. Browning your roasts or chop meats in this makes the most flavorful taste. I also brown chop meat with this and then drain for tacos. Your rice comes out amazing when adding this little gem! Try it im sure you love it. Its become a staple in my Latin recipes even when the recipe doesnt call for it I add it! Have you tried to Ropa Vieja (old clothes) roast recipe I posted from Daisy Martinez...its wonderful

Comments (5)

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Thanks Eileen!! One question, how much oil do you start out with? I'm definitely going to try this, it sounds wonderful!I haven't tried the Ropa Vieja recipe but I'll have a look now.

Oh! One more question. Do you store the annatto oil in the fridge?

• alison
    14 years ago

It really is a rather amazing little addition -- no one will ever guess what's making your dishes so special!

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Aside from infusing oil with it, do you use it for anything else?

(Heading to Penzey's right now, I'm too curious! And need one or two other things anyway...)

• trsinc
    14 years ago

How do you think the oil would be in a vinaigrette?

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1/2 cup oil to 2 tablespoons seeds to make Achiote Oil. I have many used the oil,but the seeds can be ground and used that way also. I store mine in the cupboard but I use it so often it does lay around. Hmmmm vinaigrette??? Id try it but its got a different flavoring that I cant explain. The ground version can be used in rubs soup etc. Recipezaar.com has 50+ recipes using Annatto Seed

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County